From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo as a team effort
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 12:08:59
1 On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 7:50 AM, Andreas K. Huettel
2 <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > Is Gentoo really a loose association of individualists who care about nothing
5 > but their own stuff, and give a $(/%& about users or the distribution as a
6 > whole?
7 >
8 > Because that's the impression I recently get on the mailing list, and I'm not
9 > really sure if it's worthwhile putting any more effort into it then.
10
11 Some may say so, but the reality is that it has always been a united
12 effort - just not one in which everybody has a mailstop.
13
14 Honestly, I've only seen 2-3 devs really digging in their feet over
15 systemd units, and that isn't going to cause a total meltdown. It
16 seems like the general problem of over possessive maintainers is more
17 widespread. That manifests itself in a million papercuts that tend to
18 drive individuals nuts but we've generally weathered them. I think
19 the solution there is a functioning devrel or other disciplinary body
20 with a faster time constant but lower amplitude.
21
22 Rich