From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: GLEP - Require Projects to report to Council Monthly
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 23:46:50
1 On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 10:45:50 -0500
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:57:12 PM EST Kent Fredric wrote:
5 > > On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 12:03:02 -0500
6 > >
7 > > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
8 > [...]
9 > >
10 > > That may be how you see it.
11 >
12 > No that is fact, given how people keep discussing and focusing on punishment.
13 > It clearly shows a mindset and the atmosphere. Not a friendly one!
14
15 That's why I'm *only* getting that impression around you. Right.
16
17 The reality with human communication, is if people collectively interpret you incorrectly,
18 that's something only you can rectify.
19
20 It sucks to have people misunderstand you, but you don't get to say
21 "no, I'm not giving this perception, you're just imagining it"
22
23 Because you are giving that perception. It becomes a question of *why* you're giving that perception
24 and what you can do to rectify that.
25
26 Granted, when a perception is misunderstood, you can then subsequently, with care, correct that.
27
28 But as to how initial misperceptions are created, that's an exercise that requires your investment.
29
30 Nobody else can do it for you.
31
32 Related concept presented comically by Louis CK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18y6vteoaQY&t=110
33
34 > > But for me, I don't really have that problem in general, and I only seem to
35 > > bump into it when dealing with these horrible mailinglists of rivers of
36 > > emails that never end, when I'd rather STFU&WSC
37 >
38 > Please I tend to be more active than most speaking
39 > https://github.com/wltjr
40
41 I don't get what you're trying to say here. Its not a dick measuring contest. If you're meaning to
42 say you do more stuff than I do, and how when I say I'd rather STFU&WSC, that I'm just being rhetorical
43 about that, allow me:
44
45 https://github.com/kentfredric
46
47 I don't know which metrics you're specifically suggesting I see, but I think at least one of those
48 numbers are comparable. But that's besides the point.
49
50 I find lengthy mailinglist discussions exhausting and there's often very very little return on investment,
51 and usually nothing becomes of any of it, so its just stupid conflict without utility. Great.
52
53 The only reason I involve myself in the first place is some conflicted deluded side effect of
54 empathy kicking in. Because somehow, I feel that maybe I can contribute something that will make
55 a bad situation better. Sometimes my patience helps me here, but usually it just makes me
56 incredibly depressed about humanity in general.
57
58 Instead, I took what I could from this, and pretty much side stepped the need for any such formalised proposal
59 by just doing something that could potentially be construed to be useful.
60
61 I just simply externalised my mental work queue to somewhere on the wiki so people could see it if they cared,
62 with no requirements of any kind.
63
64 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Kentnl/TODO
65
66 Somebody could scrape this, and aggregate it, I don't know, I don't care. Its useful to me as-is, and it could be
67 useful to somebody else. The problem is solved and I can go do something else.
68
69 And within hours, somebody noticed and copied me:
70
71 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Leio/TODO
72
73 Self-organising systems are great.
76 > > And for me, it very much *is* what you're writing that gives me these vibes.
77 >
78 > You do not know me, and you are reading things I did not write. Worrying about
79 > things I am not even discussing. None of that comes from me....
80 >
81 > > I don't pretend to be able to explain how that is, but it is true.
82 > >
83 > > I don't know how to resolve it either, but I'm just generally trying to
84 > > think to myself "Should I actually respond, or should I just shut my mouth
85 > > and do something else lest I make this fire worse"
86 >
87 > I see allot of people talking who became developers years after I was one. I
88 > do not see any respect for those that came before. No respect for wisdom
89 > gained over a decade, etc.
90 >
91 > I routinely will google Gentoo New Developer, with a persons name. Rarely am I
92 > talking to anyone from say before 2010. Most have become developers since and
93 > have a very different perspective.
94
95 There is some kind of respect for people over time, but it plateaus quickly, and beyond
96 that, everyone are just as mortal and fallible as I am, and they need to prove themselves.
97
98 And constantly.
99
100 People do change, and sometimes they change for the worse, so being experienced and older
101 is not in itself an extended license of authority.
102
103 One can still respect and listen to those views, but are still entitled to reject them.
104
105 I really wish I'd gotten paid for all the times I'd had to babysit people older than me
106 when they were throwing their toys out of the proverbial cot like children.