From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 14:59:57
1 On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 2:20:09 PM EDT Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Mon, 10 Oct 2016, Roy Bamford wrote:
3 > > The CoC history can be found on sources.gentoo.org. As you say,
4 > > in GuideXML. The votes to approve the original CoC and changes are
5 > > mostly recorded in council meeting logs. Mostly, because its
6 > > difficult to compare the last CVS version and first wiki version.
7 >
8 > Actually, not difficult at all, because their wording is identical. :)
9 > Therefore, CVS [1] and wiki [2] combined should give you the full
10 > history.
11 >
12 > There were only two changes with regards to content after inception
13 > of the CoC: One in 2008, replacing proctors by devrel und userrel
14 > (bug 185572),
15
16 I was not aware comrel and userrel were created in 2008. Timing is quite
17 interesting. That could explain quite allot, and why at least in my opinion.
18 Gentoo has been on the decline since ~2008. I do not feel either has had a
19 good or positive impact. The issues in Gentoo could be directly related.
20
21 No person will ever say they came to Gentoo because of comrel/userrel/devrel.
22 Would anyone every say they left Gentoo because of comrel/userrel/devrel?
23
24 Typically you must have allot going, be popular, and have to many wanting to
25 volunteer. To have a need to weed out the bad. If there is not over staffing
26 issues, then not sure driving anyone away is a good idea. Who will replace
27 them?
28
29 Correct the mistakes of the past, dis-ban comrel, leave recruiting... Ditch
30 policies of policing, and focus more on growing the numbers...
31
32 The biggest thing everyone should care about, is bringing more people to
33 Gentoo!!!
36 William L. Thomson Jr.