From: "Andreas K. Hüttel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Shutting down the Off the Wall (was: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items ...)
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2020 03:15:42
1 > Please respond to this message with agenda items. Do not hesitate to
2 > repeat your agenda item here with a pointer if you previously
3 > suggested one (since the last meeting).
4
5 I would like to propose the council consider shutting down the "Off the Wall"
6 (OTW) forum on forums.gentoo.org permanently and without replacement.
7
8 Rationale:
9
10 * provides zero value to the distribution
11 * large parts of the content are toxic and not something I (and others) wish
12 Gentoo to be associated with
13 * it caters to a set of users somewhat distinct from the rest of the forums
14 (e.g., >5000 posts in OTW, <100 elsewhere)
15 * forum moderators have made clear they are not going to fulfill their roles
16 (e.g., regarding the code of conduct) in OTW, following a similar discussion
17 one year ago
18
19 This leaves us with two options:
20
21 1) shut down OTW
22 or
23 2) replace or supplement forum moderators with people willing to fulfill the
24 moderator role in OTW
25
26 I dont see 2) happen (for the simple reasons
27 * that it will be difficult to find someone to do the work
28 * and that noone has volunteered to do it over the past year
29 ), so 1) it is.
30
31 Cheers, Andreas
34 Andreas K. Hüttel
35 dilfridge@g.o
36 Gentoo Linux developer
37 (council, qa, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)