From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 05:55:06
1 On 01/06/2017 06:47 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 7:10 AM, Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> * Developers have to (?) become members of a US-based foundation in order to
5 >> be able to vote for the board.
6 >> One side is how many (US law) legal obligations follow from membership; I'd
7 >> guess not many, but it should be clarified. This is probably the smaller
8 >> issue.
9 >> The other side is that we can't predict worldwide legal impact, and that it
10 >> may well be disadvantageous for someone in another country to officially be
11 >> member of a US legal body.
14 > Being a "member" of the Foundation is like holding stock in a US
15 > corporation. It gives you partial ownership in a sense of the
16 > Foundation (though especially if we become 501c-whatever that
17 > ownership is somewhat limited), and it gives you the right to vote on
18 > its affairs. Since we're non-profit you don't get the benefit of
19 > dividends.
20 >
21 > Generally speaking under US law people who are merely shareholders in
22 > an organization are greatly shielded from liability. There are some
23 > exceptions but I don't think they'd ever apply to an organization of
24 > our size, maybe if we had 3 members and they were constantly colluding
25 > to do something illegal it would be different. In a company where you
26 > can own multiple shares there are also some rules that apply to people
27 > who own a large portion of the total ownership, but that also will
28 > never apply here since Foundation members are all equal.
29 >
30 > So, while I can't speak for the laws of every country out there, if
31 > you can legally own shares of a US stock, you can probably be a member
32 > of the Foundation without any concerns. Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer
33 > and contrary opinions are welcome.
34 >
35 > I would note that I don't think developers should be /required/ to be
36 > members so much as that they are able to be members on request, and
37 > that people who cease to be devs also cease to be Foundation members.
38 > That effectively makes the voting constituency the same even if in
39 > practice not everybody votes. If the Council/Trustees are merged then
40 > choosing not to be a member effectively means you're not voting at
41 > all, but I don't see a problem with that since devs aren't required to
42 > vote today.
45 >> * Board members have a different legal status.
46 >> It may become impossible for some of our developers to be elected to the
47 >> Gentoo "board", since the legal position may lead to conflicts of interest
48 >> with real-life work.
49 >> [I'd have to research that, but it's not impossible that even as a civil
50 >> servant I'd have to get that officially approved by the "Free State of
51 >> Bavaria".]
52 >
53 > So, the stuff I wrote above applies to members, and not the board.
54 > Under US law the board of a company does have responsibility to run it
55 > properly. If they're really negligent they could be subject to US
56 > criminal law, and if they don't govern the Foundation well they could
57 > also be civilly liable to its members (yes, members of the Foundation
58 > can sue the Trustees for not doing a good enough job under US law,
59 > though most like the Foundation would end up paying the bills up to a
60 > point). To the extent that they're doing their job they're not liable
61 > for stuff the Foundation does, so if Gentoo ends up in some copyright
62 > dispute and loses it is the Foundation that would pay the bills, and
63 > not the Trustees. Of course, if the reason it lost was because we had
64 > a lousy copyright policy some members could try to sue the Trustees
65 > personally to get some of that money back for the Foundation (err,
66 > guess I should get that policy done).
67 >
68 > You didn't mention officers, but they can also have responsibilities.
69 > If they're really negligent they could be criminally liable, and if
70 > they do stuff like embezzle they could be civilly liable to the
71 > Foundation. While our officers aren't employees you could look at
72 > their responsibilities a bit like that. Of course, the fact that they
73 > aren't paid by the Foundation and professionals in the field would
74 > probably greatly aid them in their defense, since it is a bit hard for
75 > the board to sue a volunteer treasurer for negligence when they're the
76 > ones who decided not to hire a CPA.
77 >
78 > And as you point out it is common for companies to require disclosure
79 > of board memberships by its employees, or advance permission. Usually
80 > this is only an issue if there is a conflict of interest of some kind.
81 > If you were a manager at a company like Google there would probably be
82 > more concerns than if you were a manager at a company like DHL.
85 >> * Anyone now running for trustees can run for council and be involved in all
86 >> aspects of Gentoo oversight.
87 >>
88 >> * There is only one controlling body (I guess whether we name it "board" or
89 >> "council" doesn't matter).
90 >
91 > I think it is worth implementing this concurrently with a full vote
92 > for all seats so that there is a fresh mandate. We haven't decided
93 > how many seats/etc there should be. It really doesn't matter if you
94 > see this as being the "new council" or the "new trustees" - whatever
95 > we call it the new board inherits the responsibilities of both, and
96 > anybody in either set of roles today (or somebody new entirely) could
97 > end up on it.
98 >
99 > I only mention this because I have seen some debate about which board
100 > is more fit to do this or that. If there is a fresh election it is a
101 > moot point because people can look at the new list of responsibilities
102 > and vote for whoever they think will handle it best.
105 >> * The part of Gentoo where mistakes are fatal (IRS filings, corporate status,
106 >> trademarks, financial statements) is handled by professionals (or not relevant
107 >> anymore).
108 >> [Robin is doing a great job of handling our finances at the moment, and it's
109 >> good that the trustees are very active now. As in all volunteer organizations,
110 >> we can't take that continuously for granted though.]
111 >>
112 >> * The Gentoo "council" or "board" does not involve any legal status which can
113 >> make it difficult for anyone to run.
116 > ++ in general. As with any project at times the Foundation has had
117 > its ups and downs, and real-world governments don't really make
118 > allowances for that.
119 >
120 > If for a moment there is a lull in Foundation interest then an
121 > umbrella org can make sure the bills get paid and the filings get done
122 > and the books are always in order, and maybe that is the full extent
123 > of Foundation activity. If at other times there is a lot of interest
124 > in activity then that interest can be focused on growing the
125 > Foundation and doing interesting things with our money, while the
126 > baseline activities continue to have professional oversight.
127 >
128 > It basically frees Gentoo volunteers to focus more on things like
129 > organizing an annual dev conference and less on filing 990s. You
130 > can't do the former unless the latter is in order, and people are
131 > going to be a LOT more willing to sponsor stuff if we have a fairly
132 > solid compliance posture financially.
133 >
134 >> The end result in terms of self-administration is not that much different from
135 >> Matthew's proposal. The legal construct, however, is very much different.
136 >
137 > ++
138 >
139 > Either way we have a central governance. This model also extends well
140 > if we want to have similar legal entities in other countries (assuming
141 > there is some advantage to doing so). You could have a project to
142 > manage this stuff, and sub-projects per country. However, it is
143 > important to maintain one overall governing board on top of everything
144 > so that we don't run into conflicts. We don't want our non-profit
145 > that runs booths in Japan fighting with our non-profit that runs
146 > booths in India/etc.
147 >
148 > Again, that all depends on whether we really benefit from foreign
149 > incorporations. The administrative burden goes away with the umbrella
150 > org, but there might or might not be other benefits, and I don't think
151 > those are really the focus here but I think this is a model that could
152 > scale out well.
155 My primary concern over an umbrella corporation or a sponsor is that it
156 robs us of ownership. How would such a business decision go? We give all
157 the assets to SPI or some other org, pay them some percentage of our
158 revenue, and act like everything's square? What happens when SPI decides
159 we aren't paying them enough? I would hope whatever contract gets
160 written up would *not* include them keeping our assets after a breach.
161
162 It also forces us to become dependent on an entity that may or may not
163 have our interests in mind. I suppose we have to do that already with
164 whoever hosts our hardware, unless robbat or others have direct physical
165 access to our infra. I'm liking the idea that it would free us to do
166 other, more interesting and libre software-related things, but is a
167 corporation that also manages other distros a good way to go? Too much
168 (real, legal) power centralized into a single group isn't my idea of a
169 smart move and could well ruin us without some strong protections in our
170 contract.
171
172 In short, I don't want to see the work you, I, or the dozens of other
173 Gentoo devs become locked up or destroyed because we signed a deal with
174 a corporation. This is one of the cases I would wholly suggest legal
175 counsel with, and be willing to pay that extra fee to get either a good
176 contract or good advice on how to restructure.
177
178 Perhaps having a legal understanding of Gentoo's situation would better
179 indicate what metastructure we need to have to best facilitate our legal
180 obligations and continue serving our community.
181 --
182 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
183 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
184 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6