From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 14:48:02
1 On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 7:10 AM, Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > * Developers have to (?) become members of a US-based foundation in order to
4 > be able to vote for the board.
5 > One side is how many (US law) legal obligations follow from membership; I'd
6 > guess not many, but it should be clarified. This is probably the smaller
7 > issue.
8 > The other side is that we can't predict worldwide legal impact, and that it
9 > may well be disadvantageous for someone in another country to officially be
10 > member of a US legal body.
13 Being a "member" of the Foundation is like holding stock in a US
14 corporation. It gives you partial ownership in a sense of the
15 Foundation (though especially if we become 501c-whatever that
16 ownership is somewhat limited), and it gives you the right to vote on
17 its affairs. Since we're non-profit you don't get the benefit of
18 dividends.
19
20 Generally speaking under US law people who are merely shareholders in
21 an organization are greatly shielded from liability. There are some
22 exceptions but I don't think they'd ever apply to an organization of
23 our size, maybe if we had 3 members and they were constantly colluding
24 to do something illegal it would be different. In a company where you
25 can own multiple shares there are also some rules that apply to people
26 who own a large portion of the total ownership, but that also will
27 never apply here since Foundation members are all equal.
28
29 So, while I can't speak for the laws of every country out there, if
30 you can legally own shares of a US stock, you can probably be a member
31 of the Foundation without any concerns. Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer
32 and contrary opinions are welcome.
33
34 I would note that I don't think developers should be /required/ to be
35 members so much as that they are able to be members on request, and
36 that people who cease to be devs also cease to be Foundation members.
37 That effectively makes the voting constituency the same even if in
38 practice not everybody votes. If the Council/Trustees are merged then
39 choosing not to be a member effectively means you're not voting at
40 all, but I don't see a problem with that since devs aren't required to
41 vote today.
44 > * Board members have a different legal status.
45 > It may become impossible for some of our developers to be elected to the
46 > Gentoo "board", since the legal position may lead to conflicts of interest
47 > with real-life work.
48 > [I'd have to research that, but it's not impossible that even as a civil
49 > servant I'd have to get that officially approved by the "Free State of
50 > Bavaria".]
51
52 So, the stuff I wrote above applies to members, and not the board.
53 Under US law the board of a company does have responsibility to run it
54 properly. If they're really negligent they could be subject to US
55 criminal law, and if they don't govern the Foundation well they could
56 also be civilly liable to its members (yes, members of the Foundation
57 can sue the Trustees for not doing a good enough job under US law,
58 though most like the Foundation would end up paying the bills up to a
59 point). To the extent that they're doing their job they're not liable
60 for stuff the Foundation does, so if Gentoo ends up in some copyright
61 dispute and loses it is the Foundation that would pay the bills, and
62 not the Trustees. Of course, if the reason it lost was because we had
63 a lousy copyright policy some members could try to sue the Trustees
64 personally to get some of that money back for the Foundation (err,
65 guess I should get that policy done).
66
67 You didn't mention officers, but they can also have responsibilities.
68 If they're really negligent they could be criminally liable, and if
69 they do stuff like embezzle they could be civilly liable to the
70 Foundation. While our officers aren't employees you could look at
71 their responsibilities a bit like that. Of course, the fact that they
72 aren't paid by the Foundation and professionals in the field would
73 probably greatly aid them in their defense, since it is a bit hard for
74 the board to sue a volunteer treasurer for negligence when they're the
75 ones who decided not to hire a CPA.
76
77 And as you point out it is common for companies to require disclosure
78 of board memberships by its employees, or advance permission. Usually
79 this is only an issue if there is a conflict of interest of some kind.
80 If you were a manager at a company like Google there would probably be
81 more concerns than if you were a manager at a company like DHL.
84 > * Anyone now running for trustees can run for council and be involved in all
85 > aspects of Gentoo oversight.
86 >
87 > * There is only one controlling body (I guess whether we name it "board" or
88 > "council" doesn't matter).
89
90 I think it is worth implementing this concurrently with a full vote
91 for all seats so that there is a fresh mandate. We haven't decided
92 how many seats/etc there should be. It really doesn't matter if you
93 see this as being the "new council" or the "new trustees" - whatever
94 we call it the new board inherits the responsibilities of both, and
95 anybody in either set of roles today (or somebody new entirely) could
96 end up on it.
97
98 I only mention this because I have seen some debate about which board
99 is more fit to do this or that. If there is a fresh election it is a
100 moot point because people can look at the new list of responsibilities
101 and vote for whoever they think will handle it best.
104 > * The part of Gentoo where mistakes are fatal (IRS filings, corporate status,
105 > trademarks, financial statements) is handled by professionals (or not relevant
106 > anymore).
107 > [Robin is doing a great job of handling our finances at the moment, and it's
108 > good that the trustees are very active now. As in all volunteer organizations,
109 > we can't take that continuously for granted though.]
110 >
111 > * The Gentoo "council" or "board" does not involve any legal status which can
112 > make it difficult for anyone to run.
115 ++ in general. As with any project at times the Foundation has had
116 its ups and downs, and real-world governments don't really make
117 allowances for that.
118
119 If for a moment there is a lull in Foundation interest then an
120 umbrella org can make sure the bills get paid and the filings get done
121 and the books are always in order, and maybe that is the full extent
122 of Foundation activity. If at other times there is a lot of interest
123 in activity then that interest can be focused on growing the
124 Foundation and doing interesting things with our money, while the
125 baseline activities continue to have professional oversight.
126
127 It basically frees Gentoo volunteers to focus more on things like
128 organizing an annual dev conference and less on filing 990s. You
129 can't do the former unless the latter is in order, and people are
130 going to be a LOT more willing to sponsor stuff if we have a fairly
131 solid compliance posture financially.
132
133 > The end result in terms of self-administration is not that much different from
134 > Matthew's proposal. The legal construct, however, is very much different.
135
136 ++
137
138 Either way we have a central governance. This model also extends well
139 if we want to have similar legal entities in other countries (assuming
140 there is some advantage to doing so). You could have a project to
141 manage this stuff, and sub-projects per country. However, it is
142 important to maintain one overall governing board on top of everything
143 so that we don't run into conflicts. We don't want our non-profit
144 that runs booths in Japan fighting with our non-profit that runs
145 booths in India/etc.
146
147 Again, that all depends on whether we really benefit from foreign
148 incorporations. The administrative burden goes away with the umbrella
149 org, but there might or might not be other benefits, and I don't think
150 those are really the focus here but I think this is a model that could
151 scale out well.
154 Rich