From: Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] ComRel / disciplinary action reform proposal
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 04:30:00
1 On 01/16/17 08:22, Paweł Hajdan, Jr. wrote:
2 > On 16/01/2017 05:56, Dean Stephens wrote:
3 >> I think this proposal is utterly unworkable in practice. While the
4 >> intention is rather obvious, and heavily geared toward actual
5 >> contributing members of the community at large, the proposed
6 >> definitional scope and structure are incompatible with actual workloads
7 >> already in place.
8 >>
9 >> [...]
10 >>
11 >> As it stands, disciplinary actions are handled per medium and channel,
12 >> with appeals going first to those with direct authority over that medium
13 >> or channel, then to ComRel, then the Council. This is simple,
14 >> consistent, and most of all it is on the whole effective; all while
15 >> minimizing the amount of make work. If there is meant to be an implicit
16 >> argument that this is somehow insufficiently documented, by all means
17 >> make that point, ask people to document things more pervasively, do not
18 >> discard a working system because someone could not be bothered to read
19 >> the documentation.
20 >
21 > Good points.
22 >
23 > IMO the proposal also has good points, and just needs to be updated to
24 > take scalability issues into account.
25 >
26 The proposal is, in a nutshell, to file lots of bugs for the Council and
27 make them the first, last, and only point of appeal. Which effectively
28 makes the role of the Council to try keeping up with scrollback
29 literally everywhere that Gentoo staff/developers have disciplinary
30 authority due to their roles as Gentoo staff/developers; which, to be at
31 all realistic, is just not going to happen. It presents no novel net
32 benefits while incurring novel net costs. In short, the status quo is
33 superior to the proposed model.
34
35 > Maybe routine things like spam could go through forums-specific channel.
36 They already do, as do all other disciplinary actions on the forums. The
37 question should not be: "what can be special cased into being allowed to
38 have local handling by those responsible for a communications medium or
39 channel?" If anything, it should be: "what, if anything, should be
40 forced to be handled by people who are not necessarily involved with the
41 medium or channel in question?" To answer the latter with "first pass
42 appeals" serves to increase workloads generally and confusion on the
43 part of those not familiar with the process, though I suppose it would
44 suit functionaries fond of dismissing inquires with a quick "nothing I
45 can do".
46
47 > I don't see a reason to get a bug filed for each of these.
48 >
49 Which is rather my point: filing the bugs as required by the proposal is
50 pointless, and rather excessive, make work. Disciplinary actions are
51 already documented, either in situ or privately as befits the action(s)
52 taken, and such documentation can be dumped to a suitable bug if and
53 when necessary, but making all such documentation into bugs serves no
54 useful purpose even if fully automated (which it most certainly is not
55 at the moment)... unless the goal is to force Council members to filter
56 their e-mail.
57
58 > Paweł
59 >