From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] ChangeLog generation - pros and cons (council discussion request)
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 18:22:36
On 09-08-2011 13:15:01 -0500, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> > > I guess I don't understand something here. If we aren't retroactively > > > changing existing ChangeLogs, and we're autogenerating things in the > > > future, where would these changes come from? > > > > so you want to retain all existing ChangeLogs? > > Seems like a better idea to me, although it's not originally mine. Old > commit messages weren't written with the knowledge or intent that anyone > would be reading them, except maybe a dev or two, so we might lose a lot > of information.
For your information: the Prefix tree [1] has ChangeLogs regenerated from CVS commit logs for all packages that are included from the CVS tree gentoo-x86 [2]. You can easily compare them against the original logs from a regular gentoo-x86 [3].
> If/when we switch to git, we might want to reconsider that, since all > the handwritten messages will be old, largely irrelevant history by > then.
I don't follow your reasoning here. All messages that are old today, are also old when we switch to git. [1] [2] [3] -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo on a different level