From: "Patrick Börjesson" <psychotical@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] Improvements to the About Gentoo page
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 06:28:04
1 On 2011-02-16 20:41, Angelo Arrifano wrote:
2 > [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~miknix/about.xml
3
4 Minor notes:
5 "We only patch applications" -> "Generally, we only patch applications"
6
7 "as least as possible" -> "as little as possible"
8
9 "run Gentoo as primary system" -> "run Gentoo as your primary operating
10 system"
13 The wording in "Stable or bleeding-edge" could use some improvement and
14 clarification.
15
16 "(i.e. up-to-date packages)" should probably be something along "(i.e.
17 they are (rather|decently) up-to-date)".
18
19 Going into which files to edit to make use of stable/unstable mixing
20 is probably too specific here. Mension that it only involves editing a
21 file to accomplish, but don't go into which files those are.
22
23 "faster" in this context seems weird... "earlier" fits better.
24
25 I think "unstable" here gives the wrong impression. The software that
26 portage installs really shouldn't be "unstable". Marking a package as
27 ~arch is for testing the _ebuild_, not the package. So I'd probably
28 re-write this to something along:
29
30 "Our stable packages generally stay close to upstream (i.e. they are
31 decently up-to-date). However, if you find that the "stable" version of
32 your favorite software is too far behind upstream you can get the latest
33 version by mixing "stable" and "testing" packages, simply by editing a
34 file or two of portage's config. That way you don't compromise the
35 stability of your entire system by wanting the latest of one particular
36 application."
37
38 > "At one point we all were new to Gentoo and learned about it, now it
39 > is your turn"
40
41 Maybe something like this instead?:
42 "All of its current users had to learn to harness the power of Gentoo.
43 Are you ready to take control?"
44
45 More like a dare, makes for a more interesting finish...