From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Rekindling Gentoo News -> Paying for news
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 17:52:03
1 On Monday, January 23, 2017 6:41:15 AM EST Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Sun, 22 Jan 2017 12:21:04 -0500
3 >
4 > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > I used an example of Linode paying $100 for documentation.
6 >
7 > Ok. So, this is probably where we got derailed.
8 >
9 > Its not clear *who* is paying for *what*.
10
11 Looks like Linode has increased to $250 from $100
12 https://www.linode.com/docs/linode-writers-guide/
13
14 > The outlay gave the impression that it was creating an LWN-esque
15 > newsletter, which would take income from subscribers who read it.
16
17 No, nothing to do with readers. This is about authors. Paying authors.
18
19 > Whereas that suggest there is no such association, and the only changing
20 > hands of money is "somebody" pays an author to write the article, which
21 > everyone else then receives for free.
22
23 Yes that is the idea. Gentoo pays people for content for the GWN. Along with
24 editors to put it all together.
25
26 > And the only source of income is the people requesting articles.
27
28 Income is normal foundation. This would come from Foundation funds, how ever
29 they were gathered.
30
31 > You've covered the "<something at gentoo>" -> "<person who writes article>"
32 > part of the dynamic, but where the money comes from to make this happen,
33 > and the scheme under which the money is obtained is not entirely clear.
34
35 The Foundation has money now. It rarely spends it, thus people rarely donate.
36
37 > Looking back I can see now you didn't write that as such, its just how the
38 > framing turned out:
39 >
40 > "Paying for news" -> "who pays for news"? -> "subscribers pay for news"
41
42 People always twist and read what I write in their own ways. We all have
43 filters we view the world through.
44
45 > In short though: Depsite how much you write, I seldom find you "clear" to
46 > read.
47
48 Could be culture differences, maybe even language. Even native English varies
49 around the world.
52 William L. Thomson Jr.