From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Rekindling Gentoo News -> Paying for news
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 17:41:45
1 On Sun, 22 Jan 2017 12:21:04 -0500
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I used an example of Linode paying $100 for documentation.
5
6 Ok. So, this is probably where we got derailed.
7
8 Its not clear *who* is paying for *what*.
9
10 The outlay gave the impression that it was creating an LWN-esque
11 newsletter, which would take income from subscribers who read it.
12
13 Whereas that suggest there is no such association, and the only changing
14 hands of money is "somebody" pays an author to write the article, which
15 everyone else then receives for free.
16
17 And the only source of income is the people requesting articles.
18
19 You've covered the "<something at gentoo>" -> "<person who writes article>"
20 part of the dynamic, but where the money comes from to make this happen,
21 and the scheme under which the money is obtained is not entirely clear.
22
23 Looking back I can see now you didn't write that as such, its just how the framing
24 turned out:
25
26 "Paying for news" -> "who pays for news"? -> "subscribers pay for news"
27
28 ( This is not an invitation to enter a discussion about how language happens,
29 but to give insight onto how confusion was created in attempt to prevent it happening
30 in future, and to recalibrate the direction of further conversation )
31
32 In short though: Depsite how much you write, I seldom find you "clear" to read.
33
34 And the more you write in attempt to rectify this problem, the worse it will be.