From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting on 2022-02-13
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 17:13:09
1 On Wed, Feb 09, 2022 at 10:40:20AM -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
2
3 *snip*
4
5 > I hope vendor tarballs are a temporary solution.
6 > The down side of them is duplicate data across vendor tarballs. In other
7 > words, the vendor tarball for cosign could include data that is in other
8 > vendor tarballs and there is no way to prevent that.
9 >
10 > The best solution would be to have a src_fetch_extra phase like I
11 > mentioned earlier in the thread. If I had that ability, the cosign
12 > ebuild would look like this. Note that the src_fetch_extra function
13 > would be in the go-module eclass not the cosign ebuild so the ebuild
14 > would be smaller still.
15
16 I just realized a down side to this approach, but I don't know how
17 important that down side is.
18
19 As the example shows, if a package has a vendor directory we would trust
20 it so nothing would need to be done. If we have to run "go mod
21 download", however, this populates the dependency cache from the
22 internet. This means that a package that requires this could not be
23 built if the building machine is not on the net.
24
25 I don't know how important this is, because it is true for any go
26 package without a vendor directory no matter how you build it.
27
28 Thoughts?
29
30 William