From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: Making GLSAs useful for security
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 14:04:58
1 On 12/16/2016 02:57 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 13:25:14 +0100
3 > Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
6 ..
7 >
8 > Perhaps it's time to realise that security bugs aren't that
9 > interesting, and that random data loss bugs and just plain missing
10 > features can be far more impactful in practice than some obscure
11 > security issue. All treating security bugs specially does is play into
12 > the "look at me, I'm important so you should pay me money or I'll put
13 > out another press release" drama certain consulting companies have set
14 > up. Broken code is broken whether or not the bug has been given a cute
15 > name and logo.
18 Exactly, a security vulnerability originally being an info leak or a low
19 probability risk that turns out to a denial of service on a stable
20 system due to lack of proper stabilization is a good argument for the
21 way things are today.
24 Kristian Fiskerstrand
25 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
26 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3