From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 20:14:35
1 On 01/04/2017 02:47 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > On 01/04/2017 06:58 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
3 >> With increasing focus on security in various contexts I'd like to
4 >> propose that we start discussing catching up with other distributions
5 >> and start requiring new developers' OpenPGP keyblocks to have at least
6 >> two signatures from existing developers before applications can be
7 >> made[A]. Amongst other things This helps building the Gentoo Web of Trust.
10 By analogy with the CA system for websites: I don't care if the
11 government of China thinks you're the Bank of America. All I want to
12 know is, are you the guy that has my money?
13
14 Likewise, I don't care if MichaƂ thinks you look like Kristian
15 Fiskerstrand. All I want to know is, are you the guy that passed the
16 quizzes and pasted his key into LDAP? You can change your name, move to
17 another country, switch genders -- I don't care -- you'll always be
18 0x0B7F8B60E3EDFAE3 to me. Having others verify your name is interesting
19 metadata, but it isn't your primary key.