From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-12-09
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2018 16:00:36
1 On Sun, 2018-12-02 at 16:30 +0700, grozin@g.o wrote:
2 > On Sat, 1 Dec 2018, Mikle Kolyada wrote:
3 > > 13.0 profiles removal, 17,0 set was added a year ago, and even arm has
4 > > been migrated successfully.
5 >
6 > dev-lisp/clozurecl is broken in 17.0. On ~x86 compiling it loops forever.
7 > I heard that on ~amd64 it compiles but the resulting binary is broken: it
8 > fails to compile maxima. The upstream says that this is related to Gentoo
9 > specific compilation options, and they recommend to use the upstream
10 > options. In 13.0 clozurecl works fine.
11 >
12 > I think those who introduced 17.0 should fix what they have broken. I use
13 > 13.0, and cannot switch so far.
16 I think that if there's one package that doesn't work with profiles
17 (compared to the very large number of packages which just work fine),
18 it's not the profiles but the package being broken (read: doing silly
19 assumptions). Therefore, it's not 17.0 profiles being the problem but
20 the package in question.
21
22 Claiming that people doing any change to Gentoo are required to fix all
23 the problematic packages is just silly. This is basically saying that
24 it's fine to add bad quality packages and then demand others to fix them
25 for you. People who worked on the profile can fix bugs in the profile.
26 Don't expect them to pursue whatever broken packages you like just
27 because they happened to change the fragile conditions under which they
28 worked.
29
30 That said, if you insist I'll fix this package. But I'm pretty sure you
31 won't like my fix.
32
33 Disclaimer: I haven't took part in introducing 17.0 profiles.
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny