From: Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Microsoft buys GitHub
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2018 16:41:38
1 On Mon, Jun 4, 2018, at 11:25 CDT, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > For anyone interested, here is a fairly comprehensive comparison of
4 > self hosting options: https://docs.gitea.io/en-us/comparison/
5 >
6 > It is likely gitea is the best.
7 >
8 > Cheers,
9 > R0b0t1
12 On Mon, Jun 4, 2018, at 09:56 CDT, Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com> wrote:
13
14 > In case the need arise, I'm offering to host a 3rd party git
15 > infrastructure, storage and cpu power are available, what it's needed is
16 > an in depth analysis of how it should be built.
17 >
18 > To avoid adding load to infra jobs this should be a totally external
19 > project, this also mean there will be no real benefit comparing it to
20 > current github usage, i.e. all the "pull requests" will need to be
21 > managed by gentoo developers which will have some kind of access to the
22 > server.
23 >
24 > Let me know if there is interest
25 >
26 > Francesco Riosa
29 To answer your two e-mails:
32 We host our critical development infrastructure (including gitolite,
33 master mirror, etc.) exclusively on our own servers under our control.
34
35 The mirror we provide on github is merely a convenience tool - we do
36 this because we want to enable github users an easy path for sharing
37 contributions (i.e. pull requests). The point here is that we chose
38 github because of its 30 million users (and the fact that nearly
39 everyone who potentially contributes already has a github account).
40
41 Talking about alternatives is completely missing the mark.
42
43 Best,
44 Matthias