From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Formally have Foundation oversee top level projects 1.1
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 19:40:45
1 On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 13:08:17 -0600
2 Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > This proposal sets out a plan to revert to the normal corporate
5 > structure that Gentoo enjoyed before the Foundation and Council were
6 > created.
7
8 Err, before the Foundation?
9
10 > Right now this is a general plan for discussion, if we wish to go this
11 > way details need to be hammered out.
12 >
13 > Issues with the status quo:
14 >
15 > Foundation/Trustees exist to take away the burden of running Gentoo
16 > financially, infrastructure and legally. There is some crossover with
17 > projects run under the Council though. PR, Recruitment, Comrel and
18 > Infrastructure exist under the Council, not Foundation.
19
20 And why is that a problem? I don't see a specific reason for Foundation
21 to get directly involved where Council's doing a good job.
22
23 > Each of those have implications for Legal reasons (mainly due to how
24 > their actions may expose Gentoo to legal conflict) and monetary reasons
25 > (Infrastructure particularly).
26
27 As can an action of every individual developer.
28
29 > Possible Solution:
30 >
31 > Voting body:
32 >
33 > In order to solve this Gentoo needs to have a combined electorate,
34 > meaning those that would vote for Council would also vote for Trustees
35 > and visa-versa. This would ensure that everyone’s needs are represented.
36 >
37 > The combined voting body would be able to opt out of voting, however,
38 > opting out of voting means opting out of voting globally. The reasoning
39 > behind this is so that you can’t opt out of voting for one body but not
40 > the other, as doing so would cause a split in the voting pool.
41
42 This doesn't answer the most important question of all: who the voting
43 body will be? I doubt people care about being able to opt-out of
44 voting. They do care, however, for being unable to vote for some
45 legal or otherwise external reasons.
46
47 > Bodies being voted for:
48 >
49 > We should have a single overarching governing body, let’s call it ‘The
50 > Board’. This is so that conflicts between Council and Trustees (as they
51 > exist now) would have a straightforward resolution.
52 >
53 > This new ‘Board’ would be able to use the existing project metastructure
54 > to delegate roles to various groups (Comrel, Infra, etc would still
55 > exist, but under this new Board). Technical leadership would continue
56 > as a sub-project of this board.
57 >
58 > Sub-projects of the board can be voted for by the same electorate that
59 > votes for the board. This does not need to be the case for all
60 > sub-projects.
61 >
62 > It may look something like this:
63 >
64 > Some of the subprojects are for example and may not reflect reality or
65 > be complete, however, the top-level sub-projects should be as is:
69 > |--Council--(various projects)
70 > |
71 > | |--Recruiting
72 > Board --+--Comrel--|
73 > | |--Something else
74 > |
75 > |--PR
76 > | |--Releng (if recognized)
77 > |--Infra--|
78 > |--Portage (possibly)
79 >
80 > Other:
81 >
82 > The Board’s responsibilities should be limited to running to Gentoo as a
83 > global project. This means they’d effectively be trustees. Technical
84 > matters should be limited to the council and its associated
85 > sub-projects. HR type issues should change from appealing up through
86 > the Council (as it is a technical body) to appealing through to the
87 > Board. PR and Infra would be directly managed under the Board.
88 >
89 > This draft of the proposal has nothing to say about the detail of the
90 > formation of the ‘Board’, how many members it would have, nor how they
91 > will be selected.
92
93 So, this whole thing looks really bad to me. It looks to be based on
94 some (accidental or intentional) misunderstanding what Council is,
95 combined with some degree of conflict of roles in Board (Trustees).
96
97 As I said previously, the defining attributes of Trustees would be
98 knowledge of the law and related affairs. Why does that suddenly imply
99 that Trustees are required to be capable of handling project
100 leadership?
101
102 Why do you insist on giving additional power to people who have
103 already have a well-defined purpose? Why are you forcing us to be lead
104 by people who offer to do legal stuff, instead of the people we trust
105 to lead Gentoo?
106
107 Furthermore, you seem (as many other Foundation power proponents
108 before) to completely miss QA in the picture. For some reason, you all
109 believe Council to be some dumb technical body (which QA is, actually).
110 Post the change, Council and QA would probably be redundant.
113 Therefore, I'd like to propose an another model, which is pretty much
114 what we have now, possibly with some clarifications.
115
116 For fans of fancy diagrams:
117
118 Board/Trustees (Foundation)
119 |
120 Council
121 |
122 all other projects in Gentoo
125 As I see it, it's a pretty straightforward and clean structure. We have
126 two organizational bodies: Council and Board/Trustees (I don't really
127 see a reason to rename it).
128
129 The duty of the Board/Trustees is to handle legal affairs. It is also
130 on the top of organizational structure with the power to override any
131 decision *if it goes against the law / CoC / etc.* In other words, it
132 has the highest power but must use it responsibly, and does not need to
133 be normally engaged in Gentoo affairs.
134
135 The duty of the Council is to handle all affairs within Gentoo. All
136 projects are below Council, and Council is the final 'normal' appeal
137 for all decisions. Unlike some beliefs, its role is not limited to
138 technical matters.
139
140 This provides a good split of responsibilities for a non-profit. On one
141 hand, we have a 'compliance board' (== Board/Trustees) that handles
142 the legal affairs but doesn't get in the way of the distribution unless
143 it is absolutely necessary, and we have an 'executive board' (==
144 Council) that handles the distribution.
145
146 Obviously, this also meets the necessity of different qualities. Board
147 members/Trustees need to be fluent in the laws and/or finances. Council
148 members need social skills mostly, and possibly some technical skills
149 to be able to interact with the community. We no longer give extra
150 power to someone just because nobody else wants to do the legal work.
151
152 I don't see why would anybody claim this not to be a normal or
153 beneficial structure. It is definitely more clear than what you're
154 proposing, and definitely less likely for conflicts of interest. It
155 provides a consistent decision appeal possibility, with a dedicated
156 body to handle appeals regarding CoC/law.
159 Best regards,
160 Michał Górny
161 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>