From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Formally have Foundation oversee top level projects 1.1
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:01:55
1 On 01/11/2017 01:40 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 13:08:17 -0600
3 > Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> This proposal sets out a plan to revert to the normal corporate
6 >> structure that Gentoo enjoyed before the Foundation and Council were
7 >> created.
8 >
9 > Err, before the Foundation?
12 Before the split head was codified.
13
14 >> Right now this is a general plan for discussion, if we wish to go this
15 >> way details need to be hammered out.
16 >>
17 >> Issues with the status quo:
18 >>
19 >> Foundation/Trustees exist to take away the burden of running Gentoo
20 >> financially, infrastructure and legally. There is some crossover with
21 >> projects run under the Council though. PR, Recruitment, Comrel and
22 >> Infrastructure exist under the Council, not Foundation.
23 >
24 > And why is that a problem? I don't see a specific reason for Foundation
25 > to get directly involved where Council's doing a good job.
28 This is about accountability in the legal sense.
29
30 >> Each of those have implications for Legal reasons (mainly due to how
31 >> their actions may expose Gentoo to legal conflict) and monetary reasons
32 >> (Infrastructure particularly).
33 >
34 > As can an action of every individual developer.
37 Yep, which is why devs should exist under the foundation (in some form)
38
39 >> Possible Solution:
40 >>
41 >> Voting body:
42 >>
43 >> In order to solve this Gentoo needs to have a combined electorate,
44 >> meaning those that would vote for Council would also vote for Trustees
45 >> and visa-versa. This would ensure that everyone’s needs are represented.
46 >>
47 >> The combined voting body would be able to opt out of voting, however,
48 >> opting out of voting means opting out of voting globally. The reasoning
49 >> behind this is so that you can’t opt out of voting for one body but not
50 >> the other, as doing so would cause a split in the voting pool.
51 >
52 > This doesn't answer the most important question of all: who the voting
53 > body will be? I doubt people care about being able to opt-out of
54 > voting. They do care, however, for being unable to vote for some
55 > legal or otherwise external reasons.
58 The voting body would be active developers, meaning those that passed
59 what used to be the staff quiz. Commit access or not.
60
61 I don't have a solution to being able to vote for the council but not
62 the board while still retaining opt out. The only solution I can think
63 of (and I just thought of it a second ago) is for it to be a graduated
64 opt-out. opt out of voting for the board because you have to, then opt
65 out of voting for the council (or other project like comrel possibly)
66 because you want to. If you opt out of voting for council or comrel
67 then you have to opt out of voting for the board as well though.
68
69 >> Bodies being voted for:
70 >>
71 >> We should have a single overarching governing body, let’s call it ‘The
72 >> Board’. This is so that conflicts between Council and Trustees (as they
73 >> exist now) would have a straightforward resolution.
74 >>
75 >> This new ‘Board’ would be able to use the existing project metastructure
76 >> to delegate roles to various groups (Comrel, Infra, etc would still
77 >> exist, but under this new Board). Technical leadership would continue
78 >> as a sub-project of this board.
79 >>
80 >> Sub-projects of the board can be voted for by the same electorate that
81 >> votes for the board. This does not need to be the case for all
82 >> sub-projects.
83 >>
84 >> It may look something like this:
85 >>
86 >> Some of the subprojects are for example and may not reflect reality or
87 >> be complete, however, the top-level sub-projects should be as is:
91 >> |--Council--(various projects)
92 >> |
93 >> | |--Recruiting
94 >> Board --+--Comrel--|
95 >> | |--Something else
96 >> |
97 >> |--PR
98 >> | |--Releng (if recognized)
99 >> |--Infra--|
100 >> |--Portage (possibly)
101 >>
102 >> Other:
103 >>
104 >> The Board’s responsibilities should be limited to running to Gentoo as a
105 >> global project. This means they’d effectively be trustees. Technical
106 >> matters should be limited to the council and its associated
107 >> sub-projects. HR type issues should change from appealing up through
108 >> the Council (as it is a technical body) to appealing through to the
109 >> Board. PR and Infra would be directly managed under the Board.
110 >>
111 >> This draft of the proposal has nothing to say about the detail of the
112 >> formation of the ‘Board’, how many members it would have, nor how they
113 >> will be selected.
114 >
115 > So, this whole thing looks really bad to me. It looks to be based on
116 > some (accidental or intentional) misunderstanding what Council is,
117 > combined with some degree of conflict of roles in Board (Trustees).
120 I see council as it is now as an overreach of what it was intended to
121 be, or even should be.
122
123 > As I said previously, the defining attributes of Trustees would be
124 > knowledge of the law and related affairs. Why does that suddenly imply
125 > that Trustees are required to be capable of handling project
126 > leadership?
129 I believe I did state that the trustees would still be limited to
130 Legal/proj running, but this gives them the 'official' ability to reach
131 down and change things if needed. As it is now, officially, we'd have
132 to ask council for a change dealing with a legal issue if it started
133 because of something technical.
134
135 > Why do you insist on giving additional power to people who have
136 > already have a well-defined purpose? Why are you forcing us to be lead
137 > by people who offer to do legal stuff, instead of the people we trust
138 > to lead Gentoo?
141 I don't like the false dichotomy you offer. I personally don't see this
142 as an overreach of power, or even a granting of power that was not
143 already there. All this does is document things as they already are,
144 from a more legal sense.
145
146 > Furthermore, you seem (as many other Foundation power proponents
147 > before) to completely miss QA in the picture. For some reason, you all
148 > believe Council to be some dumb technical body (which QA is, actually).
149 > Post the change, Council and QA would probably be redundant.
153 That's a good point, they likely would be redundant. QA would expand to
154 be more cross project though I think.
155
156 > Therefore, I'd like to propose an another model, which is pretty much
157 > what we have now, possibly with some clarifications.
158 >
159 > For fans of fancy diagrams:
160 >
161 > Board/Trustees (Foundation)
162 > |
163 > Council
164 > |
165 > all other projects in Gentoo
168 > As I see it, it's a pretty straightforward and clean structure. We have
169 > two organizational bodies: Council and Board/Trustees (I don't really
170 > see a reason to rename it).
171 >
172 > The duty of the Board/Trustees is to handle legal affairs. It is also
173 > on the top of organizational structure with the power to override any
174 > decision *if it goes against the law / CoC / etc.* In other words, it
175 > has the highest power but must use it responsibly, and does not need to
176 > be normally engaged in Gentoo affairs.
177 >
178 > The duty of the Council is to handle all affairs within Gentoo. All
179 > projects are below Council, and Council is the final 'normal' appeal
180 > for all decisions. Unlike some beliefs, its role is not limited to
181 > technical matters.
182 >
183 > This provides a good split of responsibilities for a non-profit. On one
184 > hand, we have a 'compliance board' (== Board/Trustees) that handles
185 > the legal affairs but doesn't get in the way of the distribution unless
186 > it is absolutely necessary, and we have an 'executive board' (==
187 > Council) that handles the distribution.
188 >
189 > Obviously, this also meets the necessity of different qualities. Board
190 > members/Trustees need to be fluent in the laws and/or finances. Council
191 > members need social skills mostly, and possibly some technical skills
192 > to be able to interact with the community. We no longer give extra
193 > power to someone just because nobody else wants to do the legal work.
194 >
195 > I don't see why would anybody claim this not to be a normal or
196 > beneficial structure. It is definitely more clear than what you're
197 > proposing, and definitely less likely for conflicts of interest. It
198 > provides a consistent decision appeal possibility, with a dedicated
199 > body to handle appeals regarding CoC/law.
202 I see this as workable, not my preferred solution, but acceptable. I
203 would personally rather have non-technical things and infra things
204 outside of Council, but like I said, this can work.
207 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)