From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] ComRel / disciplinary action reform proposal
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 19:13:52
1 On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 2:05:54 PM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 1:31 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
3 >
4 > <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > It is really amazing what is tolerated, and what is considered a CoC
6 > > violation.
7 > Keep in mind that "tolerated" and "CoC violation" are different
8 > things.
9
10 Where does set an example for others to follow fall?
11
12 > Something can be a CoC violation and be either tolerated or
13 > not. There are a lot of things I'd prefer not be tolerated which are,
14 > and a lot of it comes down to trying to find a balance in enforcement.
15
16 Or just get rid of enforcement as it is very unfair and biased.
17
18 > The stuff that does get serious enforcement tends to be fairly
19 > egregious from what I've seen, and rarely are all the details of what
20 > actually happened the things that discussed on the lists or the things
21 > that are commonly known.
22
23 That is complete BS. I have never done anything severe. Go try to find evidence
24 of such. I can show you countless examples of clear CoC violations. I have
25 mentioned many on list. Yet I was banned recent in 2016 for 7 days.
26
27 None of this makes any logical sense. The criteria is not consistent.
28 Application and enforcement is not consistent. The whole thing is a mess.
29
30 > Put another way, from what I've observed Comrel is about as
31 > understaffed as any other part of Gentoo, so for them to go through
32 > all the trouble to actually do something to somebody, they really have
33 > to get their attention in a sustained way...
34
35 Or simply not be liked by those with such powers. I have seen others, which a
36 recent post was a perfect example of a clear CoC violation. Not to mention
37 creating a toxic community that is very unfriendly. While minor things get
38 punished.
39
40 I have never insulted someone on list. I have never talked about anyone who
41 was banned on list. I have not used fowl language in IRC and other things. Yet
42 I am not right for Gentoo yet people who do such are?
43
44 These other people who are "right" for Gentoo, have horrible attitudes,
45 approaches to other people, and are creating a really bad atmosphere. It is of
46 no wonder people are not coming to Gentoo.
47
48 I very much believe I am not the problem but many who are Developers are the
49 problem. Their attitudes and how they interact with others needs to change. In
50 order for more to be attracted to the project. This is simple logic.
51
52 No one wants to be around or work with unfriendly rude insulting people.
53 I am not one of those.... Explains why I am not right but others are. Makes
54 allot of sense.
57 William L. Thomson Jr.