From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GLEP 76: Copyright Policy [v4]
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 07:09:45
1 On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 10:13:30 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I think there are other arguments to be made against anonymity.
5
6 Pseudonymity is hardly anything like anonymity.
7
8 Creating a pseudonym requires much work, and its a constructed
9 "persona" that is a public representation of your natural person.
10
11 Just like a real person, a pseudonym requires establishing networks of
12 trust between peers.
13
14 And you don't need to know my physical identity in order for me to
15 prove, when you meet me, that my physical identity is the owner of the
16 pseudonym.
17
18 If pseudonymity is forbidden, significant contributors of opensource
19 projects would have to cease existing, among, but not limited to:
20
21 _why of Ruby ( who disappeared entirely from opensource when people
22 started leaking his true name )
23
24 Chromatic ( The author of the Modern Perl book, who has respectable
25 involvement in both Perl5 and Perl6 )
26
27 Its all good to talk about "openness", but forbidding pseudonymity on
28 this basis is nearly forbidding privacy, because you're tempting that
29 whole "why do you need privacy if you've got nothing to hide" mentality.
30
31 Lets say for example you have a job, and your employer is a dick who
32 doesn't understand how software works, and will make your life unduely
33 miserable if they find you out in the real world contributing to
34 opensource in your free time, despite having no legal right to
35 persecute you as such.
36
37 You're not doing anything untoward, but your employer's braindead
38 mentality conspires with this policies braindead mentality to forbid
39 you from contributing for no good reason.
40
41 Your options become "quit your job" or "quit contributing".
42
43 And you're not actually achieving any real "openness" as a result of
44 this insanity, you're just making the lives of people who have
45 legitimate grounds for pseudonymity, harder.
46
47 And have people forgotten 'doxxing' is a thing? And in some cases
48 having your real identity out there in the real world simply serves as
49 a vector for undue harassment? Even if everything you do is above
50 board, that doesn't stop busy-bodies deciding you're conflicting with
51 their distorted sense of morality and using that as grounds to
52 persecute you.
53
54 Say for example you present opinions in favour of something that is not
55 politically popular where you live ( say you're a gay rights activist,
56 but live in russia ). You're known by the same pseudonym all over
57 opensource, but your real name is not published.
58
59 And then, this policy comes around, and you have a choice: either keep
60 using a pseudonym, or tempt associating that pseudonym with your real
61 self, which potentially invites significant negative social
62 consequences.
63
64 I don't think these sorts of "expose yourself to the elements for all
65 to attack" behaviours are something Gentoo should be encouraging under
66 the banner of openness.