From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GLEP 76: Copyright Policy [v4]
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 09:13:24
1 >>>>> On Sat, 29 Sep 2018, Kent Fredric wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 10:13:30 -0400
4 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5
6 >> I think there are other arguments to be made against anonymity.
7
8 > Pseudonymity is hardly anything like anonymity.
9
10 Both serve the same purpose, namely to conceal your true identity.
11 This doesn't go well together with a sign-off which is a legal
12 statement.
13
14 > Creating a pseudonym requires much work, and its a constructed
15 > "persona" that is a public representation of your natural person.
16
17 > Just like a real person, a pseudonym requires establishing networks of
18 > trust between peers.
19
20 > And you don't need to know my physical identity in order for me to
21 > prove, when you meet me, that my physical identity is the owner of the
22 > pseudonym.
23
24 > If pseudonymity is forbidden, significant contributors of opensource
25 > projects would have to cease existing, among, but not limited to:
26
27 > _why of Ruby ( who disappeared entirely from opensource when people
28 > started leaking his true name )
29
30 > Chromatic ( The author of the Modern Perl book, who has respectable
31 > involvement in both Perl5 and Perl6 )
32
33 > Its all good to talk about "openness", but forbidding pseudonymity on
34 > this basis is nearly forbidding privacy, because you're tempting that
35 > whole "why do you need privacy if you've got nothing to hide" mentality.
36
37 > Lets say for example you have a job, and your employer is a dick who
38 > doesn't understand how software works, and will make your life unduely
39 > miserable if they find you out in the real world contributing to
40 > opensource in your free time, despite having no legal right to
41 > persecute you as such.
42
43 > You're not doing anything untoward, but your employer's braindead
44 > mentality conspires with this policies braindead mentality to forbid
45 > you from contributing for no good reason.
46
47 > Your options become "quit your job" or "quit contributing".
48
49 > And you're not actually achieving any real "openness" as a result of
50 > this insanity, you're just making the lives of people who have
51 > legitimate grounds for pseudonymity, harder.
52
53 > And have people forgotten 'doxxing' is a thing? And in some cases
54 > having your real identity out there in the real world simply serves as
55 > a vector for undue harassment? Even if everything you do is above
56 > board, that doesn't stop busy-bodies deciding you're conflicting with
57 > their distorted sense of morality and using that as grounds to
58 > persecute you.
59
60 > Say for example you present opinions in favour of something that is not
61 > politically popular where you live ( say you're a gay rights activist,
62 > but live in russia ). You're known by the same pseudonym all over
63 > opensource, but your real name is not published.
64
65 > And then, this policy comes around, and you have a choice: either keep
66 > using a pseudonym, or tempt associating that pseudonym with your real
67 > self, which potentially invites significant negative social
68 > consequences.
69
70 > I don't think these sorts of "expose yourself to the elements for all
71 > to attack" behaviours are something Gentoo should be encouraging under
72 > the banner of openness.
73
74 Not sure how all that is relevant for the v4 update. The real name was
75 already required in v3, which has been accepted by both Council and
76 Trustees.
77
78 v4 is merely a clarification that rules for copyright notice (where a
79 legal entity can be listed) and sign-off (which must be by a natural
80 person) are different.
81
82 Ulrich