From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Power balance
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 15:56:38
1 On 2019.06.15 11:00, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 12:42:20 +0300 Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 > > Hi all!
4 > >
5 > > Last year we had a good initiative: it addition to (or even instead
6 > > of) manifests nominees were asked questions by voters. So let's
7 > > continue this year.
8 > >
9 > > I propose to have one question per thread spawned by this e-mail to
10 > > keep discussion focused. If you have multiple questions, please
11 > > start multiple threads. If your question was already asked, please
12 > > join a thread.
13 > >
14 > > I'll ask my questions in subsequent e-mails.
15 >
16 > Gentoo power balance was carefully crafted over the years. However
17 > during last year that balance was disrupted:
18
19 [snip]
20
21 I don't that is correct but it may not matter to the rest of the discussion.
22
23 When drobbins left in 2004, the Foundation was formed to take over the
24 assets of Gentoo Technologies Inc., which had owned Gentoos assets
25 while drobbins was BDFL.
26
27 At that time the TLPL, without the BDFL continued to look after the
28 technical issues. For whatever reasons, the TLPL became ineffective
29 and the council was formed to address that.
30
31 I don't have any data to suggest that the Foundation endorsed the
32 councils terms of reference or otherwise.
33
34 The point is, the Gentoo power balance just happened as a series of
37 > 1. The same person can now be in the Gentoo Council and the Trustees
38 > board.
39
40 Its not new. drobbins was both BDFL (TLPL Manager) and one of the
41 directors of Gentoo Technologies Inc.
42
43 When the Foundation bylaws were adopted in 2008, the thinking was
44 that the council would put forward project ideas that needed to be funded
45 and separation of duties requires that those that want to spend the money
46 should be a separate group from those that approve it.
47
48 Its never been an issue since to my knowledge, council as a body, have
49 never requested funding for anything.
50
51 It would still be a bad thing if the trustees was a subset of the council.
52 The two roles require different skill sets, so I don't think overlap is either
53 useful or desirable.
54
55 > Best regards,
56 > Andrew Savchenko