From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Handbooks moving to the wiki
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 19:47:08
1 On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 03:40:35PM +0000, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > However, I do capture the need for an "all-on-one-page" and will look into
3 > that first. It will not have working links for in-book navigation though but
4 > it might already be enough for users who want everything on one page (esp.
5 > those who want to print them out).
6
7 I've been able to create all-in-one pages for each separate part. The links
8 are available on https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
9
10 I was not able to create a single one-page for the entire handbook (in other
11 words, it is one page for "Installing Gentoo Linux", one page for "Working
12 with Gentoo", etc.) due to restrictions in MediaWiki - I can imagine that
13 the multi-transclusion approach that we need for generating
14 architecture-specific handbooks takes up quite some resources on the
15 generation.
16
17 Hopefully this at least covers the most cases of users who want a
18 single-page view on the installation instructions (which I believe is the
19 most common one).
20
21 Wkr,
22 Sven Vermeulen