From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] EAPI6 Features
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 15:29:31
1 On Sun, 8 Jun 2014 09:04:20 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > c) EJOBS variable
5 > > Bug #273101 [17], gentoo-dev discussion [18]
6 > > - Discussion was in 2008. Is there (still) consensus?
7
8 > The only thing that might be worth noting is that distcc users may
9 > have an interest in distinguishing between gcc jobs and everything
10 > else. I once messed with dictcc with very high job numbers and it
11 > worked great when make hit a directory full of .c files, and not so
12 > great when make/ant/whatever tried to run 50 instances of java in
13 > parallel.
14
15 Not just distcc! We already regularly see problems with a combination of
16 (a) tons of RAM, (b) a dozen CPUs and (b) matching MAKEOPTS and (d)
17 -pipe, where concurrent linker jobs surprisingly consume all of the
18 RAM and one or more linker jobs segfault or get killed. Anyone's
19 MAKEOPTS calculation should already include all of those factors.
22 Regards,
23 jer