From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] EAPI6 Features
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 16:56:29
1 >>>>> On Sun, 8 Jun 2014, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, 8 Jun 2014 09:04:20 -0400
4 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5
6 >> > c) EJOBS variable
7 >> > Bug #273101 [17], gentoo-dev discussion [18]
8 >> > - Discussion was in 2008. Is there (still) consensus?
9
10 >> The only thing that might be worth noting is that distcc users may
11 >> have an interest in distinguishing between gcc jobs and everything
12 >> else. I once messed with dictcc with very high job numbers and it
13 >> worked great when make hit a directory full of .c files, and not so
14 >> great when make/ant/whatever tried to run 50 instances of java in
15 >> parallel.
16
17 > Not just distcc! We already regularly see problems with a
18 > combination of (a) tons of RAM, (b) a dozen CPUs and (b) matching
19 > MAKEOPTS and (d) -pipe, where concurrent linker jobs surprisingly
20 > consume all of the RAM and one or more linker jobs segfault or get
21 > killed. Anyone's MAKEOPTS calculation should already include all of
22 > those factors.
23
24 Also, extraction of jobs and load average from MAKEOPTS isn't so
25 complicated. In fact, multiprocessing.eclass already provides
26 functions makeopts_jobs() and makeopts_loadavg() for this purpose.
27
28 Ulrich