From: justin <jlec@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] New developer: Alexander Berntsen (bernalex)
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:59:04
1 On 05/02/14 11:49, Sergey Popov wrote:
2 > 04.02.2014 23:47, Donnie Berkholz пишет:
3 >> On 18:57 Wed 29 Jan , justin wrote:
4 >>> He is joining us as staffer (for now, let's see what the future brings)
5 >>> to work on portage (the PM) development, where he already contributed code.
6 >>
7 >> Anyone else think it ironic that we call actual developers "staffers"
8 >> while ebuild maintainers qualify as "developers"?
9 >>
10 >> Note that I am arguing more for classifying the former as the latter
11 >> than vice versa.
14 > I do not think so. Staffer can be designer, doc translator etc. Ebuild
15 > maintainance requires programming skill(at basic level, yes, but still).
16
17 Donnie is right here. Giving people appropriate titles is a motivation
18 factor (see your footer gathering "lead" titles). So we should _not_
19 call someone who is hacking our PM "staffer" but rather "developer". And
20 call a translator, designer, package maintainer... by its title.
21 I am called developer, but I am actually a package maintainer. This is
22 what my expertise is not coding.
23
24 The only question do we need to have the developer/staffer title
25 discrimination for know who has tree access or not. And I would say no,
26 as there is nothing in the official infrastructure like LDAP telling us
27 that.
30 Justin