From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: draft of Nitrokey survey questions re shipping, usage & satisfaction
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 06:47:18
1 On Sat, 2019-07-13 at 23:38 +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm trying to put together a survey about the Nitrokey units that the
5 > Foundation arranged for devs.
6 >
7 > The rough goals:
8 > - measure shipping results [=> quantitative, at least one dev had their shipment returned]
9 > - measure usage [=> quantitative, was this a waste?]
10 > - measure satisfaction with nitrokey units [=> qualitative]
11 >
12 > I'm planning on using Google Forms for this, because I'm familiar with
13 > that as a survey platform.
14 >
15 > I'm not going to spin up an entire survey system just keep it entirely
16 > libre. I do plan on publishing the results of the survey, with some
17 > parts made anonymous/redacted.
18 >
19 > The form will NOT require sign-in, but there will be a field for
20 > entering your developer name.
21 >
22 > I would appreciate both public & private input, both about this as a
23 > survey, and meta-input about future surveys to measure success of
24 > particular programs.
25 >
26 > Draft questions:
27 > ----------------
28 >
29 > Setup:
30 > - Dev Username [textfield]
31 >
32 > Shipping:
33 > - Did you order a nitrokey unit? boolean
34 > - When did you placed the order (optional) Y/M/D
35
36 'place', and ISO8601, please.
37
38 > - When did you received the order (optional) Y/M/D
39
40 Likewise.
41
42 > - How many nitrokey units did you actually receive? [integer]
43 > - Did you have to pay any additional charges to receive the unit?
44 > - If so, how much did you pay? [numeric]
45 > COMMENT: I want to be able to adjust this question to both per-country
46 > cost-of-living and socioeconomic level of different developers within
47 > a country. See the demographics at the end.
48 > - If so, what were the nature of the charges (e.g. customs) [freetext]
49 > - Additional: If you did not receive the order, or got more than one,
50 > can you summarize what happened? [freetext] Please do not
51 > self-identify in the text.
52 >
53 > Usage:
54 > - Note: per-developer commit count will be extracted from Git
55 > - What percentage of your commits use the on-device key? (0..100% in 25% increments)
56 > - Did you use the units for non-commit signing or encryption? [boolean]
57 > - If so, how often? [many times a day, daily, weekly, monthly]
58 >
59 > Satisfaction:
60 > - What setup tooling documentation did you use: [select-many]
61 > - Gentoo wiki
62 > - Nitrokey docs
63 > - Other doc (freetext)
64 > - Figured it out by hacking it
65 > - Did you find the setup tooling easy to use? [1-5 scale]
66 > - Do you find regular usage of the tooling & unit easy? [1-5 scale]
67 > - Does the tooling & unit work consistently? [1-5 scale]
68
69 I don't really understand what 'consistently' means here.
70
71 > - Would you have considered purchasing a Nitrokey if the Foundation did
72 > not fund it, and cost was not a problem? [1-5 scale]
73 > - If you encountered problems, can you summarize some of them?
74 > [freetext] Please do not self-identify in the text
75 > - What do you feel could have been done better?
76 > [freetext] Please do not self-identify in the text
77
78 You may want to clarify if that relates specifically to Gentoo usage of
79 Nitrokey, or should include generic remarks about it.
82 > Demographics, all optional:
83 > - Where are you located: [textfield, ISO country code]
84 > - Age bracket [0-17, 18-25, 25-35, 35-45, 45-55, 55-65, 65+]
85 > - For your country, what is your household income level, relative to the
86 > median income? [select-one]
87 > - Decline to answer
88 > - Significantly below [<=50% below]
89 > - Below [20-50% below]
90 > - About the same [20% either side of median]
91 > - Above [20-50% above]
92 > - Significantly above [>=50% above]
93 > COMMENT: This is specifically to identify need where developers
94 > would have trouble purchasing hardware. The complex wording of the
95 > question is meant to improve anonymity while identifying socioeconomic
96 > need.
100 Best regards,
101 Michał Górny