From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 20:52:57
1 On 10/13/2016 03:46 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Matthew Thode
3 > <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
4 >> On 10/13/2016 03:24 PM, Matthias Maier wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> And what exactly would make the Foundation more appropriate to rule over
7 >>> interpersonal matters of a (disconnected) body of developers?
8 >>>
9 >> Council is for technical decisions, that they rule over 'HR' decisions
10 >> is an overstep. 'HR' is generally close to legal, and thus the foundation.
13 > So, this has come up a couple of times.
14 >
15 > I disagree that the council is solely for technical decisions today.
16 > Things like CoC have been their domain for a long time, and has been a
17 > common point of debate in discussions of manifestos and such, and just
18 > about every serious Council manifesto I've read tends to touch on
19 > non-technical matters. Certainly those who vote for the Council have
20 > chosen people who can speak to more than just how eclasses ought to be
21 > factored. The reality is that a lot of the disputes that have been
22 > settled by the Council in recent years have dealt with conflicts that
23 > are not purely technical in nature. I think those currently in the
24 > role have generally proven their ability to handle such matters,
25 > though I doubt there are a lot of people on this planet who get up in
26 > the morning looking forward to dealing with interpersonal conflicts.
27 >
28 > I'm not saying that we couldn't create a future model where we have a
29 > Council that is solely technical in nature, but that isn't the way it
30 > is today.
31 >
32 > I do think that it is important to create a model that makes sense
33 > before focusing on who is in what job title today. We can always move
34 > people around if the wrong people end up being in the wrong roles. If
35 > the powers of a position change dramatically that might be a good
36 > reason to hold a new election as part of the transition, etc.
37 >
38 > However, the issue still exists that we need to make sure that the
39 > final roles make sense, and that they have the right constituencies.
42 Well, I wouldn't say that council should be solely technical, no project
43 really is. More that the responsibilities of the council have grown too
44 much and some stuff (comrel) need to be moved out.
47 -- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)