From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GLEP 76: Copyright Policy [v4]
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 07:47:18
1 >>>>> On Fri, 28 Sep 2018, kuzetsa wrote:
2
3 > Summary / emphasis: the copyright protection for a
4 > legal entity or pseudonymous author (copyright holder)
5 > may also have validity outside the copyright holder or
6 > author's jurisdiction under the berne convention.
7
8 A work is protected by copyright even if it doesn't carry any copyright
9 notice at all. Our policy requires a notice mainly to protect us against
10 a possible "innocent infringement" defense under U.S. law:
11 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_notice#Reasons_to_include_an_optional_copyright_notice
12
13 IANAL, but as I understand it, the requirements for the name that
14 appears in a copyright notice are rather lax, and your quote from the
15 Berne convention seems to confirm that. Also there is nothing in the
16 GLEP's wording that would forbid the use of a pseudonym in the copyright
17 notice, as long as it will qualify as an identifier of the copyright
18 holder. (The Signed-off-by line is a different issue, though.)
19
20 Ulrich