From: NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GLEP 76: Copyright Policy [v4]
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2018 20:29:30
1 On 09/29/2018 03:46 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Fri, 28 Sep 2018, kuzetsa wrote:
3 >
4 >> Summary / emphasis: the copyright protection for a
5 >> legal entity or pseudonymous author (copyright holder)
6 >> may also have validity outside the copyright holder or
7 >> author's jurisdiction under the berne convention.
8 >
9 > A work is protected by copyright even if it doesn't carry any copyright
10 > notice at all. Our policy requires a notice mainly to protect us against
11 > a possible "innocent infringement" defense under U.S. law:
12 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_notice#Reasons_to_include_an_optional_copyright_notice
13 >
14 > IANAL, but as I understand it, the requirements for the name that
15 > appears in a copyright notice are rather lax, and your quote from the
16 > Berne convention seems to confirm that. Also there is nothing in the
17 > GLEP's wording that would forbid the use of a pseudonym in the copyright
18 > notice, as long as it will qualify as an identifier of the copyright
19 > holder. (The Signed-off-by line is a different issue, though.)
20 >
21 > Ulrich
24 "For commits made using a VCS, the committer shall certify agreement to
25 the Certificate of Origin by adding Signed-off-by: Name <e-mail> to the
26 commit message as a separate line. Committers must use their real name,
27 i.e., the name that would appear in an official document like a passport."
28
29 "By making a contribution to this project, I certify that:
30 [...]
31 The contribution was provided directly to me by some other person who
32 certified 1., 2., 3., or 4., and I have not modified it."
33
34 Which means a contribution of pseudonymous copywritten code cannot be
35 made. The person making the commit cannot sign off on it unless the
36 author signs off on it, and the author cannot sign off on it because
37 that requires that the author not be pseudonymous.
38
39 UNLESS you think this falls under #2:
40 "The contribution is based upon previous work that, to the best of my
41 knowledge, is covered under an appropriate free software license, and I
42 have the right under that license to submit that work with
43 modifications, whether created in whole or in part by me, under the same
44 free software license (unless I am permitted to submit under a different
45 license), as indicated in the file; or"
46 Which, as written, means that the committer must make a modifications to
47 the pseudonymous work to qualify as "[FOSS licensed and] created in
48 whole or in part by me."
49 The premise of which is that pseudonymous contributions aren't allowed
50 unless the author submits it as a patch, not using a VCS (as
51 contributions via VCS must use the Certificate of Origin), and the
52 committer makes some trivial modification to them, and then, by magic,
53 we avoid requirements for real names.
54
55 Honestly, the whole thing comes across as a massive double
56 standard/loophole with no real purpose behind it. If pseudonymous code
57 is to be accepted for the sake of copyright, then how does one make a
58 pseudonymous contribution? If one cannot make a pseudonymous
59 contribution, then we should be stating that explicitly.
60
61 [Quoted from elsewhere for the sake of reducing ML spam]
62 > "Not sure how all that is relevant for the v4 update. The real name
63 > was already required in v3, which has been accepted by both Council
64 > and Trustees.
65
66 > v4 is merely a clarification that rules for copyright notice (where a
67 > legal entity can be listed) and sign-off (which must be by a natural
68 > person) are different."
69
70 TBH, just because this criticism is being levied at the time of v4
71 doesn't mean that the passing of v3 was without issue.
74 NP-Hardass