From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 20:43:05
1 On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 3:23 PM Sarah White <kuzetsa@××××××××××.ovh> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 11/23/18 2:46 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > Nobody is suggesting that multiple copyright owners shouldn't be
5 > > allowed. Merely that multiple copyright owners shouldn't be named in
6 > > the copyright notice.
7 >
8 > The interest in removing or discouraging a more verbose,
9 > explicit copyright notice would suggest the only legitimate
10 > interest should be assumed to be in "gentoo authors", and
11 > for no other entity(s) or person(s) need have any stake
12 > in having a well-structured copyright notice (any format)
13
14 I'm not sure what "well-structured" means.
15
16 The one-line format IS valid. If persons A, B, C, and D all own
17 copyright on a file, as far as copyright law is concerned person D
18 receives the same benefit whether the notice lists them or not. They
19 can sue for infringement even if they aren't listed on the notice, and
20 the innocent infringement defense is barred if they do, because the
21 file contains a valid notice. US law does not require the person
22 listed in the notice to be the person filing the lawsuit to obtain the
23 benefit of there being a notice.
24
25 Now, arguably there might be non-legal benefits of having more lines
26 in the notice, such as documenting ownership, or in advertising
27 yourself.
28
29 In the case of documenting ownership IMO it would be FAR more
30 efficient to do this with some kind of standardized header in git,
31 ideally one that is both human- and machine-readable.
32
33 In the case of advertising... If somebody is really contributing THAT
34 much to Gentoo they should probably just ask to be recognized as a
35 sponsor where you actually can stick logos on websites, advertise
36 services, get pagerank, and all that stuff. Is a company name buried
37 in an ebuild really that important for this purpose? And if it is
38 just an odd contributed ebuild, do we really want to turn our ebuilds
39 into advertising space?
42 Rich