From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>, Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: gnome@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] March 2018 Gentoo GNOME project lead Election Results
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 08:44:20
1 Ühel kenal päeval, E, 26.03.2018 kell 17:46, kirjutas Matt Turner:
2 > I admit that I was interested to hear how many voted vs not, if only
3 > to get some kind of indication of life from some of the GNOME team
4 > members. Really not sure why the team has become so inactive.
5
6 The elections were also considered an activity check and announced as
7 such. In case of only one nominee, that check was declared to still
8 last two weeks total, thus officially ending tomorrow. So far there
9 have been 2 replies besides me, plus 1 reply in another project alias
10 thread. You can probably expect a few cuts to start with soon, plus
11 Sobhan officially added.
12
13 > Perhaps now would be a good time to ask for assistance getting GNOME
14 > 3.26 (and now 3.28...) into the tree? At some point, well past where
15 > we are now, being behind only causes it to be harder to catch up
16 > because you can't get upstream support. I know I've had at least one
17 > GNOME bug closed as "fixed in 3.26. update your software." :(
18 >
19 > Attempting to stabilize 3.26 at this point, when it's not even in
20 > tree
21 > six months later, and 3.28 is already out, seems to be a futile
22 > exercise. Is it possible to jump straight to 3.28 and attempt to
23 > catch up?
24
25 That's ultimately up to who is doing it. My own (initial) plan is to
26 probably introduce 3.26, get that into ~arch, then introduce 3.28 and
27 do the same. Then stabilize 3.28, skipping 3.26 for stable tree. One
28 reason would be that 3.26 doesn't need much ebuild changes yet, as only
29 a subset of packages have converted to meson, so we can get it into
30 ~arch faster, compared to 3.28 work. The other is just my workflow, and
31 I'd rather get the deps and other things updated for 3.26, to not miss
32 things when the build system changes - hard to notice the changes that
33 happened between 3.24 and 3.26 autotools when 3.28 is meson — most of
34 which are applicable to meson build too, but harder to notice when it's
35 not a diff but an initial add.
36 Someone else might go straight to 3.28 or already have the important
37 bits of 3.26 from overlay.
38
39 I should be caught up with my things and be able to start doing the
40 work and looking at reviewing things in gnome overlay from Sobhan and
41 any others in first half of May.
42
43 Help always welcome (via review and ACKs), but historically we are very
44 stringent about ebuild quality and updating things for upstream dep
45 changes and things like that, which often deters contributors after a
46 while (also compounded by our delays in reviewing and pointing out the
47 issues). But I'm not sure I want to lower the quality either in name of
48 faster introduction. The hope is to catch up by May and then never be
49 out of date again.
53 Mart