From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: " >> gentoo-project" <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [GLEP 39 overhaul] Voting and schedule
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 22:03:05
On 04/21/2010 08:36 PM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
> Even though it might be desirable to be able to vote on single points of > the discussion, a governance policy document can't be just a sum of > points. Therefore, if we opt to have a vote for individual points, I > propose in the end we chose someone to write a coherent document based > on those points and to submit the final document to a global vote.
Agreed. Any reason we couldn't just use a forum vote for this purpose? The drafting aspects of this don't need to be binding since the final vote will be. Also - a forum might be more inviting to the non-dev community, which I think is a good thing. However, since devs will ultimately approve the final document, we might consider having some kind of a dry-run vote on the individual points that is restricted to devs, so that we can avoid having the final draft vetoed and having to guess why. So, in a nutshell: 1. Forum votes open to anybody with a forum account. This can be iterative if the comments are useful. 2. Propose best ideas from forum to a dev-only vote to confirm. This can be iterative until all ideas seem acceptable. 3. Assemble final draft, do an RFC to clean it up, and then put it out for a formal vote per the usual process. This gives the entire community a big say in the final document - basically the community is proposing the elements of the first draft, and then it only changes if devs can't accept something in it. Rich