From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>, wiki@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] Removing "Gentoo [Linux]" from Wiki project names
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 01:08:34
On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 6:02 PM Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o> wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 17:50:38 -0700 > Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote: > > It should be pretty obvious that all of these are part of Gentoo, > > since they're projects on wiki.gentoo.org :) > > > > I suspect it enhances Googability of those pages, if you search for > "gentoo blah" it will make that page much more likely to show up.
I considered that, but "gentoo bsd", "gentoo elections", "gentoo crypto" all show the respective project pages very highly in the search results, even without "Gentoo [Linux]" in their names. Also, even for projects with Gentoo in the name I'm not sure that it helps. For instance if I google "gentoo alpha" I get the appropriate project page as the second result (after the handbook link), but the title of the page is "Project:Alpha - Gentoo Wiki" and not the name of the project ("Gentoo Linux Alpha Development") and that name text doesn't show up as any of the abbreviated search results. I don't think the name is used for much except for the top of the box on the right side of the project page and on user pages.