From: Michael Weber <xmw@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-09-10
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 11:22:25
1 On 08/29/2013 10:32 AM, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On 29 August 2013 07:09, Michael Weber <xmw@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 08/28/2013 01:15 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
4 >>> Hi,
5 >>>
6 >>> I'd like to ask the council to vote on the following topics regarding the
7 >>> 'minor arches' based on the feedback I received on the respective
8 >>> thread in the gentoo-dev mailing list
9 >>>
10 >>> http://marc.info/?l=gentoo-dev&m=137708312817671&w=1
11 >>>
12 >>> Drop the following arches to ~arch
13 >>>
14 >>> - s390
15 >>> - sh
16 >>> - ia64
17 >>> - alpha
18 >>> - m68k
19 >>> - sparc
20 >>> -(maybe ppc and ppc64?)
21 >> make that x86 to be consequent.
22 >
23 > I don't think being sarcastic adds anything valuable to the conversation
24 Neither does diving partial summaries or exaggerating the reality.
25 >
26 >>>
27 >>> The feedback on the original question was mostly positive.
28 >>> Most people agree that the long stabilization queues for these
29 >>> architectures create problems
30 >>> for maintainers wishing to drop old versions.
31 >> Is this the only motivation? Drop all the effort that has been put into
32 >> stabilization work on minor arches just for some impatient maintainers?
33 >
34 > Others reasons are explained to the thread in -dev ML
37 >> Keywording/Stabilization is a process we all agreed on joining, so live
38 >> with it.
39 >>
40 >>> The council should also take into consideration that the stabilization process
41 >>> for these arches is mostly a one-man job (Agostino).
42 >> It's the same one man show for amd64 and x86.
43 >
44 > It is not.
45 Neither is it for minor arches. There are others doing stabilizations, too.
46
47 >> Minor arches tend to have less cpu/io performance than this fancy
48 >> show-off amd64 dev machines.
49 >> Running the @world\@system on bleeding edge might be a never ending
50 >> compile job.
51 >
52 > This is one of the reasons they are so slow. And combining it with the
53 > one-man show argument,
54 > you see why we have problems. Moreover, as you can see, nobody from
55 > these arch teams
56 > ever replied (apart from Matt) which kinda proves my point.
57 I did stabilizations on sparc/ppc before ago kicked in.
58
59 A arm/ppc/sparc arch member.
62 Michael Weber
63 Gentoo Developer