From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-09-10
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 08:33:31
1 On 29 August 2013 07:09, Michael Weber <xmw@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 08/28/2013 01:15 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> I'd like to ask the council to vote on the following topics regarding the
6 >> 'minor arches' based on the feedback I received on the respective
7 >> thread in the gentoo-dev mailing list
8 >>
9 >> http://marc.info/?l=gentoo-dev&m=137708312817671&w=1
10 >>
11 >> Drop the following arches to ~arch
12 >>
13 >> - s390
14 >> - sh
15 >> - ia64
16 >> - alpha
17 >> - m68k
18 >> - sparc
19 >> -(maybe ppc and ppc64?)
20 > make that x86 to be consequent.
21
22 I don't think being sarcastic adds anything valuable to the conversation
25 >> The feedback on the original question was mostly positive.
26 >> Most people agree that the long stabilization queues for these
27 >> architectures create problems
28 >> for maintainers wishing to drop old versions.
29 > Is this the only motivation? Drop all the effort that has been put into
30 > stabilization work on minor arches just for some impatient maintainers?
31
32 Others reasons are explained to the thread in -dev ML
35 > Keywording/Stabilization is a process we all agreed on joining, so live
36 > with it.
37 >
38 >> The council should also take into consideration that the stabilization process
39 >> for these arches is mostly a one-man job (Agostino).
40 > It's the same one man show for amd64 and x86.
41
42 It is not.
43
44 > Minor arches tend to have less cpu/io performance than this fancy
45 > show-off amd64 dev machines.
46 > Running the @world\@system on bleeding edge might be a never ending
47 > compile job.
48
49 This is one of the reasons they are so slow. And combining it with the
50 one-man show argument,
51 you see why we have problems. Moreover, as you can see, nobody from
52 these arch teams
53 ever replied (apart from Matt) which kinda proves my point.
56 > Please give it thorough consideration before throwing all the work out
57 > of the window.
58
59 The council members are supposed to read the original thread in
60 gentoo-dev before they make a decision.
61 I believe adding more feedback to this thread might end up in
62 /dev/null so if you want to contribute to the
63 conversation please do so in the original thread. It would be easier
64 for them to have everything collected
65 in a single thread when they discuss this.
68 Regards,
69 Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
70 http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang