From: Michael Weber <xmw@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-09-10
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 06:09:27
1 On 08/28/2013 01:15 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'd like to ask the council to vote on the following topics regarding the
5 > 'minor arches' based on the feedback I received on the respective
6 > thread in the gentoo-dev mailing list
7 >
8 > http://marc.info/?l=gentoo-dev&m=137708312817671&w=1
9 >
10 > Drop the following arches to ~arch
11 >
12 > - s390
13 > - sh
14 > - ia64
15 > - alpha
16 > - m68k
17 > - sparc
18 > -(maybe ppc and ppc64?)
19 make that x86 to be consequent.
20 >
21 > The feedback on the original question was mostly positive.
22 > Most people agree that the long stabilization queues for these
23 > architectures create problems
24 > for maintainers wishing to drop old versions.
25 Is this the only motivation? Drop all the effort that has been put into
26 stabilization work on minor arches just for some impatient maintainers?
27
28 Keywording/Stabilization is a process we all agreed on joining, so live
29 with it.
30
31 > The council should also take into consideration that the stabilization process
32 > for these arches is mostly a one-man job (Agostino).
33 It's the same one man show for amd64 and x86. Well, there are others on
34 the arch teams that do stabilizations, but an very active Agostino makes
35 them rely on his caring and drags away focus - imho.
36
37 > However, some people raised the point that we should provide stable stages
38 > for these architectures and drop everything else to ~arch.
39 Minor arches tend to have less cpu/io performance than this fancy
40 show-off amd64 dev machines.
41 Running the @world\@system on bleeding edge might be a never ending
42 compile job.
43
44 Please give it thorough consideration before throwing all the work out
45 of the window.
48 Michael Weber
49 Gentoo Developer
50 web: https://xmw.de/