From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 01:54:25
1 On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 8:47 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Saturday, November 12, 2016 8:21:53 PM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
6 >> This is silly. You're suggesting that Comrel is out to mount some
7 >> kind of coup. At the very least it betrays a lack of understanding
8 >> about how things work since about the only thing Comrel can actually
9 >> do is submit bugs for Infra to actually implement.
10 >
11 > Does infra have the authority to deny comrel? Infra simply processes requests,
12 > they cannot deny.
13
14 If Comrel starts submitting requests contrary to Council instructions,
15 I suspect folks in Infra are going to eventually notice.
16
17 It isn't like Comrel has the power to kidnap people and lock them up
18 in a dungeon. If they go booting somebody they're not supposed to
19 obviously they're going to tell somebody in charge, and it would get
20 dealt with.
21
22 We're really getting into tinfoil hat territory here. You might as
23 well argue what do we do if somebody on Infra logs onto our boxes and
24 changes all the root passwords and kicks everybody out, then calls up
25 the hosting companies and tells them to change the contact info, and
26 then impersonates the officers and updates all the corporate
27 registrations.
28
29 Yeah, maybe in some hypothetical scenario such a thing might be
30 possible. Then we pick up our phones and call each other up and get
31 things straightened out. Sure, somebody in a position of power could
32 probably take down the website for a few days or whatever, but it
33 isn't like everybody who contributes is just going to say, "oh, I
34 guess there is no Gentoo, oh well..."
37 Rich