From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] William Hubbs council manifesto 2018-2019
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 00:18:00
1 On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 7:29 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I read the proposal by prometheanfire a year ago also and do not quite
4 > see why it was so offensive to some. The way I read it it was
5 > basically making the council a committee in the foundation. The
6 > council would have still been elected by the developers, and it wasn't
7 > set up so the Trustees could remove people etc, so there wasn't really
8 > a way the trustees could control it any more than they control the
9 > council as it is. If I missed something, tell me.
12 As I recall the proposal was to have the Council be subordinate to the
13 Trustees. That basically means they can do whatever they want. To
14 the degree that the policy said that they wouldn't remove people from
15 Council they could amend that with a simple majority vote, just as
16 they can change the Bylaws/etc.
17
18 Keep in mind that in a corporation the directors are basically at the
19 very top legally. Any policy of the corporation can be changed at
20 their discretion.
21
22 This doesn't really seem like a separation of powers. This is simply
23 putting the Trustees in charge of everything. They could of course
24 choose to not intervene in decisions, but any decision would
25 effectively be appealable to the Trustees (even if the Trustees vote
26 to not hear any particular appeal).
27
28 If protmetheanfire disagrees that he was proposing to make the Council
29 subordinate to the Trustees he can of course chime in.
30
31 If the Foundation were in better shape I think a structure like that
32 could work. You'd simply vote the Council members in to the Trustee
33 slots, and the Trustees could choose to work as Officers. Then the
34 new Trustees would disband the Council so that the technical body is
35 back on top, and also holds the legal authority. However, right now
36 with the mess the Foundation is in I suspect you'd find it difficult
37 to find volunteers for the Trustee positions that people would be
38 comfortable having also run the Council.
39
40 > Regarding comrel, given that more than one person who has been removed
41 > from Gentoo has threatened the foundation with law suits, I can
42 > understand the trustees wanting to be in that loop.
43
44 Just another good reason to not have a foundation to sue...
47 Rich