From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Gentoo <--> Sabayon Relation
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 16:59:18
Alec Warner wrote:

> So to sum up, we don't support it because it has really bad make.conf > settings (CFLAGS/LDFLAGS). It would be like saying 'we support you > using -ffast-math'. Which is false, we will tell you to rebuild your > system without -ffast-math. If you come to me with a sabayon problem, > I'll tell you to rebuild your system with sane build flags unless you > have good evidence that those flags are not the problem. Most Sabayon > users are not prepared to do that. >
I think that's just crazy on the part of sabayon. It makes no sense at all for them to use unsupported settings. For a start, half the fun of gentoo is setting your own make.conf.. it's the part of the install that I most loved, and you can see it on IRC when someone gets to that stage (they go all quiet for a while. ;) Secondly, you'd think they'd want users to be able to get support from gentoo without any grief. USE flags, fine, but CFLAGS/LDFLAGS?! Just compile it with march=i686 and allow the user to set their own, iff they want. (Minimal settings make it more likely the binary will be available from the binhost.) I don't understand why he didn't just do a binary distro; that's what gentoo is setup to make (as a meta-distro.) The only reason I can think of is lack of resources, and that's one of the reasons I think of it as leeching, since gentoo infra is used to supply portage and distfiles. The other thing is, there probably wasn't such good support for overlays when he started (I'm guessing.) Nowadays, there are loads of em, and many herds have their own overlays. Sunrise is scary as there's so many ebuilds in the tree, and you're warned on the site about them not being official. Using eg the haskell overlay is a different thing, since it's an overlay the devs use to test stuff specific to one language. If you're interested in that language, you might want the latest version (akin to running unstable for a package you follow.) Awareness of these types of overlay is much lower than of sunrise. What I am trying to say (in my long-winded way) is that Gentoo is constantly changing, and arguments from 2 or 3 years ago (or even longer for drobbins) don't really apply now. The principles might, but if people are getting involved again, they need to get reacquainted with the new Gentoo. -- gentoo-project@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Gentoo <--> Sabayon Relation Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>