From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2021-04-11
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2021 16:37:57
1 On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 8:03 AM Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o> wrote:
5 > On 4/8/21 5:09 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
8 > > On Wed, Apr 7, 2021, 21:51 Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o
9 > > <mailto:juippis@g.o>> wrote:
10 > >
11 > > Why hasn't this been switched yet?
14 > > We don't have the infrastructure to support this yet. E.g. if we told
15 > > people to do it our anon git service would likely fall over and stop
16 > > working.
19 > I like the "yet" part. Meantime, default to Github/gentoo-mirror?
20
21 It's admittedly a grey area here. We use CDNs for various web
22 components (packages.gentoo.org for example) and we use a CDN for
23 distfiles.gentoo.org. Is Github simply a CDN for gentoo.git? Its an
24 open question we have discussed on the gentoo-nfp list.
25
26 In general I'm not really sold on the benefits of git as a replication
27 protocol; while I dislike running a global rsync network the
28 maintenance of the network is basically nil from infra's end and so I
29 don't feel significant pressure to move to git. Could you perhaps
30 articulate why you think it's important for clients to move to git?
31
32 -A
35 > One thing I was also thinking, how heavy is git as a package compared to
36 > rsync in stage3. But to me, doesn't sound heavier at all, especially if
37 > it's built with a lot of USE flags off.
38 >
39 > -- juippis