From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Shutting down the Off the Wall (was: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items ...)
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 01:07:57
1 On 2020.12.11 21:23, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > The topic has been discussed extensively in the past few weeks; The
5 > sad
6 > climax was last Tuesday. At this point I will not look back anymore.
7 > Maybe all of us could have done a better job but whataboutism doesn’t
8 > help anyone. Let's try to focus on a possible solution.
9 >
10 > To recall the problem:
11 > On November 7th, Gentoo forum member "Old School" named another human
12 > being a slut (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8526392.html#8526392).
13 >
14 > This is a violation of Gentoo's code of conduct where we explicit
15 > state
16 > that "posting messages that are deliberately hostile and insulting"
17 > are
18 > unacceptable behaviors
19 > (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Council/Code_of_conduct).
20 >
21 > This is not about free speech. Gentoo is primary a Linux distribution,
22 > not a discussion platform. This is about us who defined once how we
23 > want
24 > to treat each other in the Gentoo community and everyone participating
25 > must adhere to our code of conduct. It’s that simple.
26 >
27 > I expect that everyone in Gentoo, including forum moderators, agree on
28 > that.
29 >
30 > What does that mean for the forum?
31 >
32 > From my point of view, the following things must change:
33 >
34 > 1) We must finally migrate the forum's software. The new software
35 > should
36 > give us new possibilities like introducing a warning system and move
38 > a reporting system which doesn't require posting in a public forum.
39 > This
40 > should make life for moderators a lot easier like nobody is expecting
41 > that moderators will read every posting. But once we get aware of a
42 > code
43 > of conduct violation, we must take action.
44 >
45 > 2) Moderators must of course moderate a bit more, at least for the
46 > next
47 > three months until everyone in the community has understood that
48 > Gentoo
49 > should be a place where everyone should feel welcome and where we pay
50 > attention how we treat each other. I am expecting that not more than
51 > 20
52 > people will have a problem with our rules but consistently applied
53 > rules
54 > should either lead to changes in behavior or result in bans after a
55 > short time.
56 >
57 > 3) We should consider starting with a new, empty, OTW forum. Some old
58 > content like the screenshot or Christmas thread can (and should) of
59 > course be preserved.
60 >
61 > Like said, these are only the things which I believe have to change. I
62 > am looking forward for other opinions, especially from current forums
63 > moderators how they believe that the problem should be resolved.
64 >
65 > If the situation will not change and forum remains a place where our
66 > code of conduct will be ignored, we will have no choice but to close
67 > it.
68 >
69 > Let's work together to solve the problem and keep the forum open!
70 > Don’t
71 > let less than 20 people who don't share our values take our forum away
72 > from us!
75 > --
76 > Regards,
77 > Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
78 > C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5
82 Thomas,
83
84 Thank you. This post and Alecs post with some data are about the
85 only two rational posts in the whole thread. Oh, Sam made a useful
86 contribution too.
87
88 Does your post represent the council considered opinion or only
89 your own?
90
91 Its a reasonable problem statement that the forums team can
92 work with to devise potential solutions. I discussed something
93 similar with dilfridge and k_f at FOSDEM 2019.
94
95 I have a major concern with the concept of the council
96 deciding to close any part of the forum. Its like this ...
97 At present, Gentoo is a common carrier, like the mail.
98 The content of letters and parcels is of little concern to the
99 carrier.
100
101 Gentoos status could be changed by a council decision to
102 close any part of the forum from common carrier to publisher,
103 were the council seen to be exercising editorial control.
104 Being a publisher makes Gentoo liable for the published
105 content. Gentoo could not run the forums at all under those
106 conditions.
107
108 Getting legal advice on that point and taking on the
109 resulting legal liabilities that result is a job for the
110 Foundation, not the council.
111
112 Its all a matter of how its done. Should the council decide
113 to 'encourage' the forums team to take the opportunity
114 to update the forums structure to prepare for the
115 forthcoming forum upgrade, then the changes become part
116 of everyday forums management, not the result of the
117 editorial red pencil.
118
119 Can the council provide a problem statement that a least
120 a majority of the members support?
123 Regards,
124
125 Roy Bamford