From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2016 04:59:43
1 On 09/30/2016 07:51 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 10:19 AM, William L. Thomson Jr.
3 > <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> What if comrel is wrong? What if I am good for Gentoo and they have just kept
6 >> me out and mistreated me for a long time? Where would Gentoo be if people
7 >> that were driven away were still contributing all these years?
10 > [snip]
11 >
12 > If somebody knows more about how other distros are handling these
13 > sorts of issues I'm all ears. I can almost certainly guarantee that
14 > most distros maintain some kind of code of conduct and enforce it. I
15 > just don't know how they do it.
16 >
17 Based on what I can tell, things are handled ad hoc, with somewhat vague
18 references to established conduct expectations.
19
20 Arch has a wikipage for CoC [1], but it spans to both users and
21 developers and much of it is imo too far. When I was an Arch user, I
22 witnessed quite a few threads deleted and people banned on IRC over
23 things that we generally allow.
24
25 Ubuntu's CoC [2] is more wishy-washy and thus open to interpretation. In
26 fact it reads somewhat close to the "Open Code of Conduct" which GitHub
27 adopted a while back and imo encourages rule lawyering and SJW shenanigans.
28
29 It's part of why I generally support the Gentoo CoC despite disagreeing
30 with a few of the finer points (strong language mostly): it gives me a
31 clear idea of what conduct I am to exemplify while acting in my
32 developer role. Disputes are easily examined due to how detailed the
33 policy is, though it can result in policy lawyering from time to time.
34
35 In short, two of the most popular distros have broad, but less precise
36 ideas of what they expect from their community. (I couldn't find
37 anything relating directly to internal developers; my search-fu isn't
38 that great) To my knowledge Arch is still lead by BDFL Aaron "phrakture"
39 Griffin and of course Ubuntu is led by Mark Shuttleworth. There may be
40 lieutenants or "community managers" involved that do the dirty work, but
41 their power structure generally sits with one person at the top.
42
43 That said, I've not been a developer for either of them, and haven't
44 been a part of their communities since 2007 and 2012, respectively.
45 There may be more to the picture that's simply not shared with the public.
46
47 [1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct
48 [2]: http://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu/conduct
49 --
50 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
51 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
52 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6