From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Looking for ways the Foundation can accomplish its mission.
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2018 03:16:26
1 On 07/09/18 03:46, Yury German wrote:
2 >> More seriously, a lot of programs like Amazon Smile require their
3 >> participating organizations to be 501(c)(3). Right now I send that money
4 >> to the FSF, and Amazon tells me they've made $11,000 over the past few
5 >> years via donations.
6 >
7 > We really really (a few more really’s) need a 501 (c ). For example the company I work for donates X amount of $$$ for every hour that I spend on Gentoo. Now I am donating to someone else, where they money could go to Gentoo when it is an official 501 ( C ) charity.
8 >
9 > Blue Knight
10 I am absolutely no expert on these matters, but I am lead to believe
11 that Gentoo was striving for a 501(c)(6) non-profit, rather than a
12 501(c)(3) tax-exempt non-profit. I'm not sure whether these help/hinder
13 your company's efforts, but that is what I understand -should- be the
14 case with regards to the Gentoo 'end' of things.