From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2014 / 2015 election
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 14:39:04
1 On Fri, 4 Jul 2014, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 6:34 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
4 >> On 07/04/14 08:59, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> The potential for "conflict of interests" is the reason any candidate
7 >>> that is a member of ComRel (in the past devrel) gets flagged, so that
8 >>> voters are aware of that. That is the same reason Trustees are flagged.
9 >>> This fear of a ComRel "cabal" in my view seems to have been born of a
10 >>> fear or distrust of some developers, mostly more recent developers, that
11 >>> either don't know or don't understand ComRel and tend to see if as a
12 >>> "old men club" that is "closed" to them. I think it's a pity such a
13 >>> sentiment was born and has grown.
14 >>
15 >> Blame your predecessors who followed a scorched earth policy - it'll
16 >> take lots of time to gain trust
19 > Honestly, I'd be a proponent of making ComRel more transparent in
20 > terms of its constitution. It deals with sensitive issues and I don't
21 > have a problem with the details of what they do being held in
22 > confidence unless the parties involved want them to be public.
23 > However, there is no need for the actual organization of the team to
24 > be non-open.
25 >
26 > I'll just toss out some ideas and maybe some will be helpful. Please
27 > note that I'm not suggesting that anybody is really trying to keep
28 > secrets here - it is just easier to have a discussion and not write up
29 > minutes than it is to announce things on lists, and so things probably
30 > happen that way.
31 >
32 > 1. Announced elections, membership changes, etc. When these things
33 > happen, publish it on -project, or at least on the team page. Make it
34 > easy for everybody to see what is going on with the
35 > membership/leadership of ComRel. There is no need for the annual lead
36 > election to be secret.
37
38 If you mean the ballots should be public, I disagree. Even though we've
39 been voting through email for the past years, I don't think everyone
40 outside of ComRel needs to be aware of the voting done by each ComRel
41 member.
42 If you mean that the result of an election should be public, I agree.
43 That's what we've been doing for a few years. I don't recall if this
44 year's election of Alec (antarus) was published or not - it happened in
45 the middle of a very intense period (for me).
46 About new membership, Markos did send emails to the mls asking for new
47 members and did announce who joined the team. The membership list is also
48 part of the project page.
49
50 > 2. Announced and open regular meetings. Meetings could have an open
51 > and a closed component if actual cases are to be discussed. Things
52 > like policy can be discussed in the open. I don't know how meetings
53 > are held now, but the closed part can happen wherever things happen
54 > today, and the open part could be in #gentoo-meetings or such with
55 > published logs. Maybe you meet for 30 minutes in the open and then 30
56 > minutes closed. Or maybe every other meeting is open. Figure out
57 > what works for the team, but with the goal of giving the community
58 > more insight and influence over anything which isn't personal. The
59 > Trustees routinely deal with closed bugs that contain personal or
60 > financial details we don't want on the Internet, but any actual
61 > decisions are in the open. So, everybody can see that we're spending
62 > $500 on some server, without seeing scans of checks and credit card
63 > numbers.
64
65 ComRel is composed of several teams that don't have exactly a regular
66 "schedule". You can only recruit if there's someone to recruit and if
67 there is, when you and the recruit have time for it. We don't meet every
68 Tuesday to go over logs from IRC or mls and see if anyone needs to be
69 "pusnished". One of the few teams that has a somewhat regular activity is
70 Undertakers as they get emails every 15 days with a summary of developers
71 activity.
72 In any case, I believe you're talking about "Conflict Resolution". That
73 work is done on a "need to" basis. While following activity in the
74 community we may decide to act (publicly or privately) if we find someone
75 is going "off-stray" or getting into trouble. However, most of the public
76 work is done when the community complaints about certain actions /
77 behaviour by individual members.
78 This work is usually started by a single member of ComRel that will
79 privately contact the other members letting them know he's working on that
80 case or by a group of members meeting online and deciding who will deal
81 with the case. If things escalate, more members may get involved and if
82 there's a need, we get a voting by the team about possible sanctions.
83 None of the above has a regular schedule that could be done on scheduled
84 meetings and I believe most of it is not appropriate for public view. The
85 team itself has frequent "improptu" meetings in which members gather and
86 we may talk about specific on-going cases or about "alarming signs".
87 I agree with you that changes to policies should be discussed in the mls.
88 We did that a few years ago. We definitely need to publish the resulting
89 policy so everyone is aware of it.
90
91 > 3. This is a bigger change, but I'd advocate doing with ComRel what
92 > was done last year with QA. Have the team self-governing for the most
93 > part, but with the Council having to confirm the lead and basically
94 > having the effective ability to take over if necessary. I'd highly
95 > discourage the Council ever doing that, but I'd look at it a bit like
96 > being able to Impeach or Recall an elected official - just a way to
97 > have accountability and the mandate that goes along with that.
98
99 I strongly object to this idea, just like I did with QA.
100 The goal / purpose of ComRel is not to be "cozy" team that everyone feels
101 great with. To have an effective ComRel team, it needs to be made of
102 people with certain traits (level headed, fair, independent, trustworthy)
103 that do their work with the best interest of Gentoo "at heart". That's why
104 it can't be a "open to everyone" team.
105 Besides, the council can always revert ComRel decisions and it always had
106 the power to deal with a "rotten" ComRel or ComRel lead.
107
108 > All of that goes far beyond whether there is overlap in Council/team membership.
109 >
110 > QA has basically been doing all three of these and I think it has been
111 > a good change. Sure, not everybody agrees with everything the new
112 > team has been doing, but the fact is that at least everybody knows
113 > what is going on, who is in charge, and how they got to be in charge.
114 > I think those are steps in the right direction.
115
116 Even though I agree that there's a more visible QA team now, I don't
117 necessarily agree that we're better now. I hope and expect the new team
118 will get better with time, but they've been dragged into many and noisy
119 conflicts, which have even lead to complaints to ComRel.
120 Your setting of a precedent also worries me as a way for any particular
121 new council to decide it's time to replace QA, just because the 2013/2014
122 council did it.
123
124 > Rich
125