From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2014 / 2015 election
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 16:12:12
1 On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
2 <jmbsvicetto@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Fri, 4 Jul 2014, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >> 1. Announced elections, membership changes, etc. When these things
5 >> happen, publish it on -project, or at least on the team page. Make it
6 >> easy for everybody to see what is going on with the
7 >> membership/leadership of ComRel. There is no need for the annual lead
8 >> election to be secret.
11 > If you mean the ballots should be public, I disagree...
12 > If you mean that the result of an election should be public, I agree.
13
14 We're on the same page here.
15
16 > I agree with you that changes to policies should be discussed in the mls. We
17 > did that a few years ago. We definitely need to publish the resulting policy
18 > so everyone is aware of it.
19
20 Again, we're actually on the same page here. I wasn't suggesting a
21 free-for-all with conflict resolution.
24 >> 3. This is a bigger change, but I'd advocate doing with ComRel what
25 >> was done last year with QA. Have the team self-governing for the most
26 >> part, but with the Council having to confirm the lead and basically
27 >> having the effective ability to take over if necessary. I'd highly
28 >> discourage the Council ever doing that, but I'd look at it a bit like
29 >> being able to Impeach or Recall an elected official - just a way to
30 >> have accountability and the mandate that goes along with that.
33 > I strongly object to this idea, just like I did with QA.
34 > The goal / purpose of ComRel is not to be "cozy" team that everyone feels
35 > great with. To have an effective ComRel team, it needs to be made of people
36 > with certain traits (level headed, fair, independent, trustworthy) that do
37 > their work with the best interest of Gentoo "at heart". That's why it can't
38 > be a "open to everyone" team.
39 > Besides, the council can always revert ComRel decisions and it always had
40 > the power to deal with a "rotten" ComRel or ComRel lead.
41
42 I'm not actually sure we're disagreeing here. This isn't about the
43 Council picking the members of QA or ComRel. This is about having
44 both teams govern themselves, but submitting their choice of leads to
45 the Council to be blessed. I just view it as a way of "legitimizing"
46 the teams, and making the elected Council members accountable for
47 their actions.
48
49 I was not proposing having open elections for these teams, or open
50 membership as with most Gentoo teams.
53 > Even though I agree that there's a more visible QA team now, I don't
54 > necessarily agree that we're better now. I hope and expect the new team will
55 > get better with time, but they've been dragged into many and noisy
56 > conflicts, which have even lead to complaints to ComRel.
57
58 So, I can't say that I've agreed with how every issue has been
59 handled, but it is a new team and I believe that creffet has been
60 working hard to try to get the team to find the right balance between
61 inactivity and overactivity. Of course a QA team that actually does
62 things will trigger more ComRel complaints than one that does nothing
63 - that's just the nature of the beast. The last month or two seems to
64 have been fairly quiet judging from the lists and Council agendas.
65
66 > Your setting of a precedent also worries me as a way for any particular new
67 > council to decide it's time to replace QA, just because the 2013/2014
68 > council did it.
69
70 The Council didn't replace QA, it populated it. There basically
71 weren't any active members in QA when we did it. The GLEP clearly
72 outlines how this year's Council agreed to do it in the future (not
73 that future Councils couldn't change this). The QA lead basically
74 holds the final say over what QA does, as is the structure of all of
75 our projects in theory. In practice they shouldn't be ruling with an
76 iron hand. QA chooses its own members, and they elect the lead. The
77 lead then has to be confirmed by the Council, and I would generally
78 expect that to be a rubber stamp most of the time. However, if there
79 is an issue that is an opportunity for reform.
80
81 But, if for whatever reason things really got out of hand, then
82 Council absolutely should clean house if that is what they feel is the
83 best option. What is the alternative? We can't have a Gentoo with
84 half a dozen self-governing fiefdoms all doing whatever they feel is
85 best regardless of what the overall developer community thinks.
86
87 I'm not an advocate of the Council stepping on teams like
88 QA/ComRel/Infra, but these are special teams that I believe require
89 some kind of mandate. If your team isn't going to let any developer
90 join, even if for good reason, then there needs to be some kind of
91 accountability to the rest of the community. Otherwise people start
92 complaining about cliques/etc.
93
94 So, I'm an advocate of the Council being the buck-stops-here team, and
95 if developers have a problem with our performance, they get the
96 opportunity to get rid of us. Then all the grievances get aired, and
97 we can all look at the results of an election and agree that they are
98 fair. Sure, we'll still have our differences, but at least we can say
99 that the majority of devs are happy with what is going on.
100
101 But, accountability of ComRel is something for the next Council to
102 decide on. I've been clear on my views - I want QA/ComRel/Infra to be
103 subordinate to the Council, but self-governing in the day-to-day. I
104 don't have strong feelings on whether ComRel/Infra are subordinate to
105 the Council vs the Trustees - I think that they should be under one or
106 the other but it could go either way. I also have stated before that
107 I think that QA >> ComRel > Infra as far as priority of reform goes as
108 well - QA was dysfunctional last fall and needed immediate action,
109 ComRel and especially Infra are less broken and thus we shouldn't be
110 in as much of a rush to "fix" them.
111
112 Rich