From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 20:37:56
1 On 13/10/16 16:27, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 10:15:47 -0400
3 > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Thursday, October 13, 2016 5:16:48 AM EDT Rich Freeman wrote:
6 >>> 2. The Foundation needs to focus first and foremost on keeping the
7 >>> lights on. Right now there are 10 periodic activities that the
8 >>> Foundation needs to perform to be in compliance with the law/etc, and
9 >>> according to the public records of the Foundation we're current on 6
10 >>> of them. Not all are equally important, and maybe we're just bad at
11 >>> recordkeeping, but it isn't a great sign. (
12 >>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Activity_Tracker )
13 >> This is self inflicted. Driving people away who may help keep the foundation in
14 >> order. If you look at the past, it was the foundation neglect that got me
15 >> involved...
16 >>
17 >> I did things in a brief period that others had not up till that point.
18 >> Including Foundation Reinstatement with New Mexico, Obtaining a Bank Account,
19 >> and formal by law review and modification on -nfp. So the draft that existed
20 >> since the Foundation was created could become adopted and official. As it was
21 >> just after I resigned. I also found Gentoo's EIN/TIN number.
22 >>
23 >> This was all in ~6 months. Had I remained as a Trustee, things with the IRS
24 >> and other would have been in order. That things are not in order, shows when
25 >> you drive one away, another does not always replace them. The foundation
26 >> suffered, and Gentoo Java.
27 >>
28 >> For what benefit? For the benefit of saving the distro from a potential toxic
29 >> person. Which ends up just setting things back.
30 >>
31 >>> 3. I've yet to see any evidence that Comrel has actually done
32 >>> anything wrong.
33 >> Which is why an appeal is pointless with some commenting being on the council.
34 >>
35 >> I have factually shown Comrel does not follow procedures. Not in 2008, nor
36 >> 2015. That a council member can make a statement that comrel has done no
37 >> wrong. Where do you go from there?
38 >>
39 >> Facts have been presented about Comrel not following policy. Yet such a
40 >> comment from a council member who keeps talking about appeal. It really goes
41 >> to show the root of the problems, much deeper than just comrel.
42 >>
43 >> Flat out denial....
44 >>
45 >>> We also have an active thread where
46 >>> somebody is complaining about Comrel but refuses to actually appeal,
47 >>> and has commented in the thread that he thinks it is unlikely that his
48 >>> appeal would be successful.
49 >> I have publicly polled the sentiment of the community and some were members of
50 >> the council that would be voting on any appeal. The comments show how people
51 >> feel on the matter. An appeal would be further waste of time. Given the flat
52 >> out denial to comrel not following policy, yet saying they do no wrong.
53 >>
54 >> So if I do not follow policy, do not use repoman and break things in tree. I
55 >> am not doing wrong? Failure to follow policy is doing wrong...
56 >>
57 >> If the general community much less council member do not see that publicly.
58 >> What point is there to any appeal?
59 >>
60 >>> I think there is room for improvement here, but I think it would be a
61 >>> mistake to do something drastic.
62 >> And that is why an appeal is pointless. You are bias and not open minded. What
63 >> if you are wrong? What if it would be a mistake to NOT do something drastic?
64 > No, the appeal is pointless because it's far too late for it to make
65 > any sense. As you say, it was 8 years ago. Get over it. Move on with
66 > your life. It's all fun to hear stories of the past but hearing random
67 > parts of your story over and over again is past bearing of most of
68 > the people on this mailing list, other mailing lists, IRC and wherever
69 > you keep sending them.
70 >
71 > So, please stop. If you really want to tell your story so much, write
72 > a consistent, complete autobiography with all the bits in one place. If
73 > you want to do something about Gentoo, set up a proper plan and start
74 > working on it. Make things happen by hard work and cooperation, rather
75 > than complaints, whining, accusations, preaching and everything else
76 > you seem to be doing around here.
77 >
78 > And do something about your ego. Yes, we know you were the most
79 > important person in the whole world, you already told us that. You
80 > and your old friends, most of whom are not involved in Gentoo anymore.
81 > That's all cool but that's the past. Now there are new people
82 > in Gentoo, whether you like it or not. Those new people have put a lot
83 > of effort into various aspects of Gentoo. Now those people are Gentoo
84 > developers, and you are a newcomer to them.
85 >
86 > If you want to do something about Gentoo, then do it. But start
87 > respecting the others, not only the people who made up Gentoo back
88 > in your days, and stop expecting to suddenly get all the privileges
89 > that you had many years ago back.
90 >
91 > Gentoo developers aren't perfect. We can live with many toxic people
92 > because they are able to give Gentoo something in return. However, if
93 > the potential issues clearly overrule the potential benefit...
94 >
95 +1