From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 15:27:56
1 On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 10:15:47 -0400
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Thursday, October 13, 2016 5:16:48 AM EDT Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > >
6 > > 2. The Foundation needs to focus first and foremost on keeping the
7 > > lights on. Right now there are 10 periodic activities that the
8 > > Foundation needs to perform to be in compliance with the law/etc, and
9 > > according to the public records of the Foundation we're current on 6
10 > > of them. Not all are equally important, and maybe we're just bad at
11 > > recordkeeping, but it isn't a great sign. (
12 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Activity_Tracker )
13 >
14 > This is self inflicted. Driving people away who may help keep the foundation in
15 > order. If you look at the past, it was the foundation neglect that got me
16 > involved...
17 >
18 > I did things in a brief period that others had not up till that point.
19 > Including Foundation Reinstatement with New Mexico, Obtaining a Bank Account,
20 > and formal by law review and modification on -nfp. So the draft that existed
21 > since the Foundation was created could become adopted and official. As it was
22 > just after I resigned. I also found Gentoo's EIN/TIN number.
23 >
24 > This was all in ~6 months. Had I remained as a Trustee, things with the IRS
25 > and other would have been in order. That things are not in order, shows when
26 > you drive one away, another does not always replace them. The foundation
27 > suffered, and Gentoo Java.
28 >
29 > For what benefit? For the benefit of saving the distro from a potential toxic
30 > person. Which ends up just setting things back.
31 >
32 > > 3. I've yet to see any evidence that Comrel has actually done
33 > > anything wrong.
34 >
35 > Which is why an appeal is pointless with some commenting being on the council.
36 >
37 > I have factually shown Comrel does not follow procedures. Not in 2008, nor
38 > 2015. That a council member can make a statement that comrel has done no
39 > wrong. Where do you go from there?
40 >
41 > Facts have been presented about Comrel not following policy. Yet such a
42 > comment from a council member who keeps talking about appeal. It really goes
43 > to show the root of the problems, much deeper than just comrel.
44 >
45 > Flat out denial....
46 >
47 > > We also have an active thread where
48 > > somebody is complaining about Comrel but refuses to actually appeal,
49 > > and has commented in the thread that he thinks it is unlikely that his
50 > > appeal would be successful.
51 >
52 > I have publicly polled the sentiment of the community and some were members of
53 > the council that would be voting on any appeal. The comments show how people
54 > feel on the matter. An appeal would be further waste of time. Given the flat
55 > out denial to comrel not following policy, yet saying they do no wrong.
56 >
57 > So if I do not follow policy, do not use repoman and break things in tree. I
58 > am not doing wrong? Failure to follow policy is doing wrong...
59 >
60 > If the general community much less council member do not see that publicly.
61 > What point is there to any appeal?
62 >
63 > > I think there is room for improvement here, but I think it would be a
64 > > mistake to do something drastic.
65 >
66 > And that is why an appeal is pointless. You are bias and not open minded. What
67 > if you are wrong? What if it would be a mistake to NOT do something drastic?
68
69 No, the appeal is pointless because it's far too late for it to make
70 any sense. As you say, it was 8 years ago. Get over it. Move on with
71 your life. It's all fun to hear stories of the past but hearing random
72 parts of your story over and over again is past bearing of most of
73 the people on this mailing list, other mailing lists, IRC and wherever
74 you keep sending them.
75
76 So, please stop. If you really want to tell your story so much, write
77 a consistent, complete autobiography with all the bits in one place. If
78 you want to do something about Gentoo, set up a proper plan and start
79 working on it. Make things happen by hard work and cooperation, rather
80 than complaints, whining, accusations, preaching and everything else
81 you seem to be doing around here.
82
83 And do something about your ego. Yes, we know you were the most
84 important person in the whole world, you already told us that. You
85 and your old friends, most of whom are not involved in Gentoo anymore.
86 That's all cool but that's the past. Now there are new people
87 in Gentoo, whether you like it or not. Those new people have put a lot
88 of effort into various aspects of Gentoo. Now those people are Gentoo
89 developers, and you are a newcomer to them.
90
91 If you want to do something about Gentoo, then do it. But start
92 respecting the others, not only the people who made up Gentoo back
93 in your days, and stop expecting to suddenly get all the privileges
94 that you had many years ago back.
95
96 Gentoo developers aren't perfect. We can live with many toxic people
97 because they are able to give Gentoo something in return. However, if
98 the potential issues clearly overrule the potential benefit...
101 Best regards,
102 Michał Górny
103 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>