From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 19:36:15
1 On 2018-02-12 09:58, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Sun, 11 Feb 2018, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >
4 >> I feel that council members should not be members of projects whose
5 >> actions can be appealed to the council like qa or comrel. I have
6 >> felt this way for a long time, because I think it compromises the
7 >> full council's ability to vote fairly on appeals.
8 >
9 >> Thoughts?
10 >
11 > By the same logic, council members should not be members of _any_
12 > project, because the council can override any project's decisions.
13
14 Yes. That sounds irritating but think about the following:
15
16 Person X is member of project Z and also in council. The majority of
17 project Z opposes the opinion of X. Maybe they vote on that decision and
18 the other opinion just won with _one_ vote. Now X sits in the council. X
19 has the power to overrule the project's decision by influencing other
20 council members. X doesn't have to participate in the council's vote on
21 this at all, to poisoning the pool of council members it is enough to be
22 around and let others know you have a different opinion and disagree
23 with the project's decision.
24
25 But this is getting complicated. No one wants to forbid X's opinion at
26 all. It is good that X has his/her own view. But it should be clear on
27 the other hand that just because X has the power to poisoning the pool
28 of council members he/she shouldn't be around. X has to respect the
29 project/team's decision. He/she has to acknowledge that the majority
30 wants a different way. A person supporting the project's decision should
31 be around and consulted if there are any questions. And other council
32 member should respect (weight) the project's decision more than the
33 opinion of council member.
36 > It is known prior to a council election if a candidate is a member
37 > of ComRel or QA. So, leave it to the electorate to evaluate if such
38 > a candidate is suitable for the council.
39
40 Remember we are talking about this now when everything is more or less
41 fine. But such a rule is for the future to protect the project when
42 things are going wrong. Do you really want to see this happen, a council
43 following their own agenda and nobody can stop them because they were
44 elected for 1y?
45
46 Like in politics, to get elected you can say "I will do A" but once you
47 got elected you can do the opposite... so leaving it to the electorate
48 sounds nice but not if council members can do the opposite of what they
49 said before the election without any consequences. So you want to limit
50 the power to limit the possible damage... just in case.
53 Anyways, William's proposal isn't going that far. So we should
54 focus/limiting discussion on William's proposal.
58 Regards,
59 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
60 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5