From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 10:44:34
1 On 10/19/2015 09:55 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 23:40:21 +0100
3 > James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 15:28:28 -0700
6 >> Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> Maybe we should take an inventory of some common games and determine
9 >>> where upstream wants to put them in the first place.
10 >>
11 >> These days most games don't even bother trying to respect FHS at all.
12 >> Those that aren't only available through Steam are often designed to be
13 >> just unpacked and run in place. Most games comprise of a binary, some
14 >> bundled libraries, and some assets. Assuming you can unbundle all the
15 >> libraries, it's sometimes sufficient to put the assets somewhere
16 >> under /usr/share and then change to that directory in a wrapper before
17 >> executing the binary. The only question is where to put that
18 >> binary. /usr/share would be bad.
19 >
20 > I'd say per FHS it would be /opt/foo or /usr/lib/foo (*not*
21 > $(get_libdir)).
24 Correct. They belong in /opt/foo and that's what we already do for
25 humble-bundle, gog and other binary-only games (steam games are mostly
26 irrelevant, since they cannot be packaged).
27
28 https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/filesystem/index.html
29
30 > /opt: Binary-only applications.